Chapter: 5

-Y/n p.o.v-

You reached for the doorknob to see if you could get one more glance at the only family you've had for the past 8 years, but they were gone.

Shutting the door, you took a step back when it suddenly opened again. It was Gale. You were both engulf each other.

"I'm fine," you say into his neck.

"Uh-huh," he responds shakily to you.

"I am," you tell him. You pull away from each other and he grasps your forearms.

"Listen to me, you are stronger than they are! You are. Get to a bow." He tells you very seriously.

"They might not have a bo-" Gale cuts you off.

"They will if you show them how good you are! All they want is a show, that's all they want." He says to you.

You nod at him, breathing heavily.

"If they don't have a bow then you make one, okay? You know how to hunt," he says.

"Animals." You respond.

"It's no different Y/n," Gale whispers to you. It makes you look him in the eye.

"There's 24 of us Gale, only 1 comes out." You say, eyes starting to gloss over.

Gale places a hand on your neck,"Yeah, and that's gonna be you."

A peacekeeper opens the door signaling it's time for Gale to leave you.

"Take care of them, Gale! Whatever you do don't let them starve!" You rush to say while wrapping your arms around him.

"Let's go", the peacekeeper says.

"I'll see you soon, okay!" Gale tells you and then he's gone, just like that he was gone.

-----------------------+timeskip+----------------------
-Y/n- p.o.v

You had been put into a car with the pink lady and other tribute. The pink lady was saying something, but you could barely hear anything over the sound of your heartbeat racing. You glanced over at the boy, he was sitting on the other side of the car staring out the window, with tears running down his face. You ended up at a train and put aboard with the other tribute Peeta and the pink woman whose name you learned is Effie, to make your journey to the Capitol.

You were all sitting in what seemed to be a dining cabin.

You and Peeta were sitting side by side the only thing separating you was the arms of the seats.

"200 mph and you can barely feel a thing. I think it's one of the wonderful things about this opportunity, that even though you're here and even though it's only for a little while, you get to enjoy all of this, " Effie said raising a hand to emphasize her point.

You all sat in uncomfortable silence for the next few seconds, at least it was uncomfortable for you before Effie stood up, "I'm going to find Haymitch... He's probably in the bar car." And made her leave.

That name Haymitch sounded familiar to you.

You glanced around at your surroundings, trying to take in what you could of the place. You were cut out of your sightings by Peeta.

"Have you met him? Haymitch?" He asks.

You stayed quiet moving your gaze to the windows to watch the trees fly by. You can feel Peeta's gaze on you.

"Y'know Y/n, he is our mentor. He did win this thing once." He continued.

You moved your focus to straight ahead of you. Still not speaking a word. You know Peeta was trying to make conversation with you so that the room felt less awkward and tense, but it's just that it left a sour feeling in your gut to be making small talk with the guy, knowing you were gonna have to possibly kill each other. Though you knew you would have to talk eventually, your still a bit raw from the reaping.