Pass Me By

Dedicated to injunniebabyy

My name is Minnie. I'm not a top student but I'm still in the top 10 ranking. I'm not a popular student but I'm quite well-known. I'm an introvert but I can communicate with anyone who talk to me. In general, I'm is in the middle of society.

However, there is one person who I never ever interact with — the popular flower boy, Choi Bomin. We're classmates but he seems to only interact with his cliques only — Jaehyun, Sungyoon, Jibeom, Youngtaek. Five of them are the visuals of our school. Even students from another districts know them.

Now, out of nowhere, the teacher give us an assignment that need to work on pair. Usually we decided ourselves our teammates but after the accident of free rider, the teacher will assign it herself. The assignment is about YouTube content. It's required us to record a video and post it online.

I quickly follow the teacher, Mrs. Kim to the teacher room. First, I want to request to change partner. Second, if I can't, I rather do it alone. Luckily it's recess time.

"Teacher Kim, may I speak to you?" I gulped.

"Minnie, what brings you here?" She ask whie arranging her stuffs.

I'm fidgeting, "Actually about the pair you assigned in class just now..."

She finally look at my face, "Yes, what about it? Who you're pair up with again?"

"Choi Bomin." I answered politely.

She nods in acknowledgement, "Ah, Bomin. So, what's wrong?"

I take a deep breath, "Can I change my partner?"

Mrs Kim furrowed her brows, "May I know why?"

"I don't think I can work with him...?" I sounded unconvincing at all.

She pull a smile, "Why don't you try it first? There's a reason why I paired you up with him. To others as well. Hmm?"

"But Teacher Kim, I'm also willing to do it alone." I bit my lower lip.

She sighed, "Minnie, the assignment need to be done by pair work because of the workload. If you do it alone, you'll fall behind the schedule."

I nodded and feeling dejected, "I understand."

She smile again, "Oh, Bomin you're here?"

WHY WOULD HE BE HERE ?! DID HE LISTEN TO OUR CONVERSATION?!

I turned my body awkwardly. And there stood Choi Bomin who is looking at me blankly. I move aside so he can stand in front of the teacher. This is super awkward.

"Teacher Kim, a student has a stomach ache. I think you should go and check his condition at the infirmary." He said.

The teacher run to the infirmary in rush. Now, only two of us in the room. Why he still here? I slowly walkaway as silent as possible. However, the God has another plan for me.

"Do you hate me?"

🎳🎳🎳

I don't know where I got the courage to leave a sticky note on his desk to meet at the cafe nearby the school after school ended. And here I am waiting him at the table by the window. I'm not sure what actually I'm expecting — he either come or not. After all, we never interact.

Suddenly an arm blocked my view and show a post-it with a very familiar handwriting, yep that's mine. The one I left on Bomin's desk. I look up to see a smiley Bomin. He takes a seat in front of me. I cleared my throat, "You want to drink anything?"

"Nope, so why you ask me meet here?" He straight to the point.

I take a breath to calm my nerves, "Aa—about the assignment tha—that we need to work on."

He nods then take my drink and sip it like it's served for him. I just look him in awe with my mouth hang open. Why would Choi Bomin drink  from the glass as mine?!

"Do you wa—want me to—to order you a drink?" I still stuttering.

He chuckled, "Nah, I like what is yours."

"I'll order the same flavour," I was about to stand up when he reached to grab my wrist to stop me.

"I said I only like what is yours."

🎳🎳🎳

Today is the day we going to record our video. Bomin suggested that we create a content with theme "Back to Childhood". He only said I just need to come to his house by the weekend because he already prepared everything. Well, I wasn't sure why would he did that. I don't like to be a free rider so I said I'll edit the video later. And he agreed.

"Welcome," he warmly open the door for me.

"Where's your family?" I ask when I stepped inside.

"They'll be back for dinner later." He shrug his shoulders.

I just nod. So we both are alone in his house?! I never ever being alone with a male in a place. This is so awkward.

"So, what are we going to do?"

Bomin leads me to a room that looks like a mini studio for our recording. He already set up everything including the camera and lightning. There are some familiar old snacks, comics, toys that I used to play. I excitedly checking them out.

"Where you got all these?!" I beam.

"Some from my collection."

I look at him in disbelief, "That you keep all your toys since kid?"

He smile meaningfully, "They're my treasures."

🎳🎳🎳

After recording for few hours and a few NGs, we finally did it. It's almost dinner and I quickly helped him wrap up everything even he insists to do it alone.

"Why don't you eat dinner with us?" He put his hands in his pockets.

I shake my head, "It's appropriate and I don't want to makes your family uncomfortable."

"They won't," he insist.

"Honey, dinner is ready." A middle-aged woman comes in the room.

I look at Bomin's mother with surprise expressed on my face. I can remember her beautiful face anywhere. Of course I know Mrs Choi. She was my neighbor when I was younger. She has a son that is so round and big but the cutest. Her son and me so close. We played together everyday until one day when we were seven they need to move. So, that's means....

"You're MICKEY?!"

"Took you long enough to recognise me, Minnie."