Chapter 3

Autopilot by Tiffany Day well explains the different emotions Hannah feels before the press conference :)

Getting ready for the press conference was more of a hassle than it should have been. On top of going through various scenarios in my head of what the reporters may ask me, and my responses, I had to try to look as professional as possible. And for me, that's trying to look mature.

As my auburn locks were chemically straightened, I found my hair to be the most simple of my routine. I left my mid-length hair cascading over my shoulders and framing my childish face. My makeup is where my routine gets a lot more complicated.

I start with shading my eyebrows with a soft brown shade of powder and combing them through with a clear gel. My eyebrows are naturally blond, so having bold brows has a great effect on making my appearance more mature. I then move to a light foundation from Mabelline, one that displays my many freckles, but covers my red-tinted skin tone- I am very pale. I gently brush on some finishing powder with a big fluffy brush, to make sure my makeup is set during qualifying. I add a lighter shade of concealer underneath my apparent purple eye bags. After also setting my concealer with powder, I chisel out my cheekbones with a bronzer and a contour palette, to give me a more mature appearance. On top of that, I add a little bit of rosy blush, and highlight that is sure to be seen by the cameras at the conference. I finally add a thick layer of mascara to my long lashes.

I look at myself in the mirror and sigh in relief. This is the person that I want the world to see. More mature, and confident.

I would say I am a pretty person. A lot of people have told me that. In fact, in my spare time, I do shoots with Louis Vuitton, Calvin Klein, etc. I have a European face that is typically wanted for models. My body is quite curvy, but by working out and eating healthy, I have a slim waist. It's what the modeling industry wants, and luckily my rise in racing has given me opportunities to pursue a career in modeling. People like me representing their brand, as I am looked at as a strong and confident woman. Although, I know that the confident woman isn't really me, just the person I portray to be. In reality, I hate my baby face, and I am insecure about my curves. But, I have to show that I love myself, to all the people around me.

Once I have applied the finishing touches of my makeup, I go to my suitcase and pull out a Mercedes polo shirt, the one required at the press conference. It's quite sunny here in Australia, so I won't have any use in a sweater of any kind. I also dress in a pair of light-wash mom jeans, and a thick Louis Vuitton black belt. I put on a plain white pair of Air Force Ones to finish off my outfit.

I try to keep my normal style of clothes on display on track, but it is proven to be difficult at times, as most of the clothing given to me is designed for men in mind. By tucking my shirt into my high waisted pants, I am showing off a little bit of my own style.

I take one last look in the mirror and check the time on my gold Louis Vuitton watch. I have ten minutes before I meet George downstairs so we can head down to the track. I plop on to my bed facing towards the ceiling to take a deep breath. This is one of the most important days of my life, isn't it?

I go into the speedy elevator, on my way to the lobby. In the elevator are other Mercedes engineers, who I shake hands with as they wish me luck. I give them a professional smile and a thank you. It's important to keep a good relationship with the engineers and mechanics, as they work as hard as I do. I don't want to be stuck up and snobby to them, they deserve as much credit about the car that I do. We exit the elevator, with my Louis purse in hand, and I run up to George who is casually slumped in a cushioned chair in the front lobby, his phone in hand.

"You ready to go Georgie?" I exclaim as I come up to him.

"Took you long enough didn't you," he replies in a mocking tone.