Chapter 22

My typical 6 am alarm blares, at what it seems like the crack of dawn. My eyes open slowly as I feel Lando stir next to me. I have turned to my side in my sleep it seems, my hand laying over the edge of the bed. Lando's stomach is touching my back, his arm wrapped around my waist and his fingers grazing over the seam of my sweatpants. I feel his breath on my shoulder as he is cuddling me and it makes me shiver seeing how close we are without even trying. I reach for my phone trying to not move him, but I feel his head shake against my neck.

"Turn it off!" he says in a tired and raspy voice. I see why other girls find that voice attractive, holy. My body warms up in the places he is touching me, as if he is creating a wildfire with his fingertips. I turn my alarm off, feeling slightly more awake. I don't dare to move from his arms, as I want to stay in this position forever. I feel so content.

His chest moves up and down as he falls back asleep and I hear his deep breaths through his mouth. We need to get out of bed soon, as free practice starts in a couple hours- but I truly never want to escape this heaven.

After fifteen minutes, I start to try to wake Lando up. I need to have a quick jog before I leave for breakfast, so I wiggle out of his arms and quietly throw my legs over the edge of the bed.

"No, come back." I hear Lando whisper as he grabs my arms. "I want more cuddles."

"I have to go on a jog, Lando. I'll be back, you can sleep until I come back. I'll wake you up." I explain, walking out of his grasp quickly and strutting to my wardrobe before I decide to go back to bed.

"Fine. Come back soon please."

I smile at him as he flips over to look at me, and a faint grin grows on his lips. His eyes flutter close, and I see him fall into a deep sleep once more.

I grab my workout clothes and change swiftly in the bedroom- Lando is asleep so I didn't see the harm. I do my usual morning routine, but with a big happy smile on my face which is quite unusual for me. 

I go downstairs to the workout area with a hop in my step, and I run for half an hour feeling exuberant. Nothing could erase the joy bubbling through my body- I feel invincible in a different way now. Nothing I have felt before.

Could I be falling in love with a boy I have known for only a month? I couldn't be. I have more self control than that. But whatever this feeling is, I don't want it to go away. I crave his presence, and I can't wait to get up to my room.

The workout trickles away slowly as the anticipation of seeing Lando builds. Thirty minutes feels like eternity- but I finish the workout with a sheen of sweat and heavy beating heart. I practically run to my room out of excitement, and open the door quietly to peer inside. I have to keep myself from smiling ear to ear when I enter my key card and twist the handle, and I walk into the room feeling a cold wave of air conditioning hit my hot face. I expect to see a sleepy Lando sprawled over my messy bed, but I see that it's... empty.

My heart sinks until I hear the shower running from the bathroom. I breath a sigh of relief knowing that he didn't just dash from me, but chose to get up and get ready for the day. I have to wait to take a shower, so I sit on my chair that overlooks the skyline of Shanghai and flip through the infamous book I have brought with me. I pick up where I have left off, flipping the pages delicately as I read with some speed. I continue to be engrossed by the plot until I hear the bathroom door open. I turn to look at Lando as he comes out the door, and I feel myself blush right away. My jaw hits the floor as I stare at him in complete awe.

"Oh you're back? I didn't think you would be so quick," he says shyly. "Sorry, I took a shower in your bathroom. It's still in pristine condition."