Chapter 32

"Okay, my turn to ask a question," Lando says to me, his paint bristles drifting over his helmet smoothly as his fingers intertwine with the handle tightly. His eyebrows are furrowed in concentration, the tip of his tongue sticking out of the corner of his mouth.

We got back to painting our helmets before we got too tired to finish since we did have a race earlier in the day. Now, we are taking turns asking questions to one another about nothing in particular.

Getting to know Lando is easy, quite simple really.

I think that's one of the things I like most about him- everything just feels simple when we have a conversation, it's like the whole world around us is frozen. I don't need to worry about my career or personal life when I'm around him. Time just stands still. It's what I need in my world of stressors and anxiety, his presence is what I thrive under. Under his watchful gaze, my heart beats at a normal and relaxed pace, the lowest it has been the entire weekend. My shoulders are loose and are not bunching up to my ears, my feet are not bouncing up and down. A breeze ruffles through my hair as I close my eyes to feel it gracefully graze my face.

"I'm all ears," I respond to Lando, painting stars on the blue-purple helmet I have created.

"What would you do if you weren't a Formula 1 driver? Like, career-wise?" he asks, pausing quickly and becoming captivated in his work once more. My lips turn upward as I think of my dreams and aspirations I have had ever since I was young.

"I have always wanted to live in a small town in Europe. Maybe Italy, in particular. And I would open my own café, maybe a bookstore within it. I've always wanted to do that; I love coffee and books equally. I've also always wanted to live in Paris for a couple of months, not permanently. But yeah, if I weren't an F1 driver, I'd want to move to Europe and open my own shop. It doesn't pay much, but I know I would be happy." I respond thoughtfully, taking a sip of tangy champagne.

"You know, I think I understand your type of happiness. Like what you find the most happiness in." Lando says, his paintbrush poking out towards me like a pointer.

"Explain."

"You find the most happiness in serving others, making other people happy. You want to bring a little bit of joy into someone's life, whether it's from driving an F1 car or serving them a coffee. It's the reason why you're here with me right now, why you are still friends with George." he responds thoughtfully, never looking away from his work.

"I never thought of myself like that. I would think I'm more selfish than anything."

"I could never agree."

"You don't have to agree. I was just stating a fact."

"And I thought you were smart." Lando chuckles, giving me a swift glance with a smirk. I roll my eyes slightly.

"I don't think you read me as well as you think," I say, painting the final touches to my helmet.

"What is one selfish thing you have done. It has to be valid."

"Formula 1," I tell him quickly, without any thought. Lando furrows his brows in confusion. "All Formula 1 drivers are selfish. I'm not any different."

"I can't really say you're wrong," he responds, placing his brush down.

"I left everyone. My family and friends. And they let me leave, so I could be successful. I never thought of them, how it would make them feel when I moved to Europe to pursue one of the most dangerous sports in the world. It was selfish. But being selfish is how I got here today."

"You make me think differently, Hannah. I see the world from a new perspective when you are around to enlighten me."

"How did I make you think any differently than before?" I chuckled nervously, turning my knees towards him.