Chapter 33

I walk up to George's apartment building sluggishly as my feet drag across the concrete on the sidewalk. I had to wake up at a decent time this morning, leaving me with around five hours of sleep after a weekend in which I never got many hours to begin with. Since it is Monday, I have the day off. After I get back from George's I will absolutely crash and catch up on all the sleep I have missed.

The flight was okay, just extremely long- 13 hours almost. And the fact that London is around 8 hours behind Shanghai means that it's only 2 pm in the afternoon when I got to the airport. I have the whole day ahead of me whilst I feel like a sleep-deprived corpse. I look like one too.

I walk up to the apartment entrance and text George that I'm outside. The door beeps, implying that George unlocked it for me, and I walk in slowly with my suitcase trailing me.

I get to George's floor, and as I walk out of the elevator, I look to my right and see he is waiting outside his door for me. My lips turn into a tired smile when I see his happy face and he instinctively rushes to give me a comforting hug. I let go of my suitcase and wrap my arms around his waist, avoiding him squishing my bandaged hand. His arms wrap around my shoulders, his nose and hands toying with my hair. I feel comfortable as I take his familiar scent through my nose. We let go quickly and he picks up my suitcase for me and starts walking to his apartment.

"How is your hand?" George asks as I catch up with his long strides.

"Sore, but much better," I say as he opens the door to his apartment. His living room is bright and inviting, the windows streaming in sunlight from the outdoors. The place is somewhat tidy, though I could tell I interrupted him playing some video games on his monitor. There are a couple of breakfast or lunch dishes on the counter, and I automatically walk towards the kitchen to take care of them.

"You don't need to clean up after me," George says as I rinse a plate and stick it in the dishwasher. He walks up to me and nudges me out of the way. I shoulder him out of the way as I take a glass and rinse it.

"It's fine. You didn't have to invite me over, so take this as my thank you." I tell him as he starts washing some dishes as well.

"For having only one working hand, you move quickly," he says chuckling. I give him a tired smile as we finish the dishes. Once all the dishes are in the dishwasher, I lean over the counter with my head resting in my hand. My eyes flutter closed as I take a moment to catch a fleeting moment of rest, but I'm interrupted when George brushes his hand over my shoulder. I look over to him with tired eyes and he looks at me concerned.

"You didn't get much sleep I suppose," George says, guiding me to his comfy couch. His hands touch my shoulder and lower back as I slump onto the sofa.

"I haven't gotten enough sleep the entire weekend. It feels like it's catching up with me." I say in a strained voice. George grabs a throw blanket and tucks it around me before he sits down and puts my head in his lap. He pulls out my tight ponytail carefully and runs his fingers through my hair, untangling the knots.

"You can nap if you want," he tells me quietly.

"I'm just going to close my eyes. And we can talk about your girl issues."

"Are you sure?"

"Of course," I say, bringing the fuzzy blanket up to my chin.

"Okay, um, I've just been thinking about this for a while and I need your opinion," George tells me, his thumb trailing over my cheekbone.

"You told me that yesterday," I say, feeling a little nervous myself. I hope it isn't about me, or about what Alex told me earlier this weekend.

"I don't know Hannah; things just feel so off with Carmen. We don't talk a lot anymore, she doesn't come to the GP's, and when I'm in town we only see each other maybe once or twice. I love her, but I may not be in love with her. And I don't know what to do about it, because I really care for her and I like the comfort we have in our relationship. I'm too scared to let her go, she's my stability." George says quickly, sucking in a breath once he finishes.