Chapter 7: To Get Stronger

Mizuki POV 

"Michikatsu....It's Mizuki."  I say as I knock on the door.  Silence.  "Michikatsu do you want some time alone?"  I ask again and hear some sniffles in the room.  I furrow my brows and take a deep breath in 'Hopefully he doesn't get mad at me.' 

"Michikatsu, I'm entering okay?"   I say as I open the door and walk inside.  I look around the room to see Michikatsu laying on his futon facing away from me.  I walk over to him and sit down beside him.  I reached over and patted his head gently.  

I see him shuffle in his futon and the sniffles become albeit louder.  I continue to pet his head soothingly.  "It's going to be okay.  I'm here for you still."  I say and brush through his hair gently.  "It's going to be alright..."  I say softly.  Once I hear the sniffling become quiet and hear his breathing slow down I lift my hand and retract it as I get up.  

Before I could completely move away Michikatsu gripped onto my hand.  "Don't go.....stay..." he said as he turned over.  My eyed widened and tried to get him to let go of my hand but he held on tighter.  "Don't go please...."  he said sleepily.  'Is he asleep?????? Or is he for real?!'  I screamed in my head.  

I sighed seeing that I couldn't get him to let go.  I shuffled back down to the floor and layed down as Michikatsu held my hand.  "You know if you want me to stay here.  You should at least scoot over Michikatsu..."  I whispered I said.  At that he gripped my hand tighter and rolled over on his futon.  

At that my arm was over his shoulder and I was extremely uncomfortable.  I moved over to the futon and got under so I wouldn't catch a cold and tugged on my arm with him rolling on his back as he still held my hand.  I sighed.  "Are you really asleep...."  I whisper and look at him.  Silence. 

"Well goodnight Michikatsu."  I say holding his hand tighter and falling asleep. 

____________

Next morning

I stir a bit as the morning light comes in through the window and I roll to my side and rub my eyes.  

I slowly open my eyes to see Michikatsu's sleeping face who is right next to mine.  My eyes widen and remember what happened yesterday.  I sigh out a bit and look down seeing that we were still holding hands.  I smile at that a bit.  'How cute~'  I think and try to remove my hand from his grip.  

I slowly unwrap his fingers and try to wiggle my hand free.  But in response he grips my hand tighter and I sigh out as I lay there.  I whisper "Michikastu.  I need you to let go of my hand so I can make breakfast."  I say no reponse.  "Michikatsu."  I say a little louder and try to sit up.  "Michikatsu"  I call again and use my free hand to nudge him.  

He stirs and rubs his eyes with his free hand and slowly looks up at me.  "Mizuki??"  he says groggily.  "Michikatsu, good morning.  But I need you to release my hand or I can't make breakfast."  I say and he looks at me a little weird and I point down at our hands. 

He follows where I was pointing and he lifts up my hand and his eyes widen.  "Oh sorry."  he says sheepishly and looks away.   He lets go of my hand and I giggle slightly at that.  I pat his head soothingly again.  "Ne Michikatsu, I don't mind but next time if you fall asleep and hold my hand, I will probably wake you up like this again."  I say and he looks back at me.  

"Next time?"  he asks and gives me a look.  "Hmm.  Next time if you or I get lonely.  It'll be us two.  We'll be practicing and getting stronger with each other for most of the day but sometimes a little company won't hurt right?"  I say and tilt my head at him.  He looks at me for a while and nods his head slowly.  "We'll see......But why were we holding hands and why're you sleeping here?"  he asks. 

I tilt my head to look at him and scrunch my brows up a bit.  "You don't know?"  I ask and he shakes his head and gives me a look.  "Last night I came here to check up on you and I stayed here with you till you fell asleep.  But before I left you grabbed onto my hand and didn't let go.  Plus you're still stronger than me so I couldn't get out of your grasp.  So I ended up sleeping here with you holding my hand."  I say. 

He gets flustered and turns his head away.  "I did that????"  he mumbles and I nod my head.  "I don't mind though.   It was nice to have company and it felt comforting."  I said and he looked back at me with wide eyes  "Nice??  Comforting???"  he asked confused. 

I nodded.  "Hmm.  It was nice and it's comforting around you Michikastu.  But, Michikatsu."  I say and he looks at me having his full attention on me.  "Since, it'll be you, me, and Sato-san from now on.  We'll have to look out for each other.  I'll protect you and you'll protect me right?  So in that case we both need to get stronger so we can protect those who are important to us."  I say and give him a stern and determined face.

He looks at me for a while and nods his head.  "Yeah, we'll get stronger.  I'll protect you but I don't think you need to protect me.  I'll be strong enough to protect both of us."  Michikatsu says bluntly.  I puff out my cheeks.  "Michikatsu~ You can't say that!  Of course you'll be strong but I'll have your back.  But I'll definitely get stronger so I can stand by myself as well."  I say and he ruffles my hair with a slight smile.

I smile back and get up.  "I'll see you at breakfast than Michikatsu."  I say and walk over to the door flashing him a smile before heading out to my room and getting ready for the day.  

______________

"Huff Huff."  could be heard as I swing my sword up and down.  Doing a hundred more swings in a different form.  "Mizuki keep that posture straight and don't lose it.  Otherwise, you'll be starting from the beginning."  Sato-san said.  

He had gotten more strict and had our other teacher put more lessons on us.  It was to be expected since Sato-san had just lost his wife as she got weaker everyday but we just didn't know what was wrong.  She was just here yesterday......

But for me, there is no time to be sad and wallow in sorrow at the moment.  I have to keep my promise to Michi-san and keep her sons safe.  I need to make sure Michikatsu won't turn into a demon and Yoriichi will live a happy life.  I want them to be alright.  So I need to get stronger.  I don't care if my workload is more.  

'I need to get stronger!'