Chapter Seven

Damn it

Damn it.

I was such a fucking idiot. How could I not see this before?

There was no way in hell I was going to let either of those pieces of shit see my cry. I had tunnel vision for the door until Matt grabbed my arm. He was a damn blessing to see. I knew Steph was already well on her way to getting drunk, so I couldn’t ask her to take me home, and I’d never take a cab at night alone.

Matt hadn’t been drinking like a fish, thankfully. I wanted to get the hell out of there. And away from those two.

“Hey, stop for a second,” Matt said, turning me around. “I’ll take you home, but you have to tell me what’s going on. What happened back there?”

I didn’t want to answer yet. I had to get out of the bar. “Where’s your truck?” I asked, heading outside with Matt beside me. Being rude wasn’t my intention, but I wanted to leave before Kurt could run out the door.

Although he probably wouldn’t be running anywhere anytime soon…

“Come on,” he took my hand with a sigh. “It’s over here.”

I slowed down to follow his direction and he led me to the small parking lot behind a building beside the bar. He opened the door for me, and once we were inside, I let the tears fall. With intense sobs to follow.

He shut my door and was around the other side within seconds. He jumped in his seat and pulled me into his arms and let me cry on his shoulder.

“I don’t know what’s going on, but I’m here for you. Just tell me whose ass to kick and I’ll kick it.”

I snorted between sobs. “You may change…your…mind on that.”

I was finally able to catch my breath and let out a long sigh.

He handed me a fast food restaurant napkin and I took it graciously. “I’m such a fucking idiot. Why didn’t I see this?”

He started the truck and pulled out of the parking lot toward my house. “I’m sure it can’t be that bad. What did I miss?”

“If…If I tell you the details, will you keep it to yourself and promise not to judge me?” I asked hesitantly.

He reached over and gently squeezed my shoulder. “I’d never judge you for anything and if you tell me something, this is where it stays.”

I wanted to believe he was honestly sincere about that, but how could I trust myself to even know anymore? I thought I could trust Kurt, but that was obviously a huge ass mistake.

“What is it, Blake?” he asked again.

I sighed, using the napkin to wipe the mascara from beneath my eyes. I had to look frightening.

“Well,” I started, “yesterday, Kurt and I went back to his house and…” I drifted off.

Matt nodded. “Okay, I can read that line rather well,” he said. “But that can’t be why you’re so upset. I mean, he didn’t force himself on you, did he? I won’t fucking tolerate that.”