Chapter Two

Adrien was having issues with his mental well-being. He was partnered with Marinette, the girl who was causing so many chemical imbalances in his body that some days he found it hard to even think straight.

He slowly turned around to face her and saw she'd paled. He's elation deflated as he realised he was the reason for this beautiful girl looking increasingly green at the prospect of being his partner. The truth, however, was that Marinette was having her own inner turmoil.

She'd just found out he was single again. Well, he's been single for a while. She thought back to their time in New York where they'd taken the carriage ride around Central Park. They had been so close to kissing, just millimetres apart, when there was an akuma attack. Since that day Marinette had stayed clear, as much as possible, of Adrien Agreste.

She had been so embarrassed by her actions that day, especially as Kagami was her friend. Since then she'd made sure they never had time alone together. Whenever the fab foursome would venture out you could cut the tension between Marinette and Adrien with a knife.

Adrien replayed the exact same scene in his head, the only difference was he wished he'd kissed her. Something about her was magnetising and he was so close to finally understanding what this feeling was. However, the akuma attack distracted both of them and he'd felt embarrassed ever since. He should have just kissed her and then gone to transform, but no, his lady had won his heart again and he'd ran straight to her. He just couldn't work it out.

Madame Bustier instructed everyone to swap seats to sit with their partner. The noise in the room as defeaning as people moved around and began to greet each other, though everybody felt sorry for Nino. That was a pairing from hell.

Nino was not on Chloe's to tolerate list, and since Miracle Queen, where Chloé unveiled the additional superhero identities, Nino had lost his chance at ever becoming Carapace again. He hated her - completely and utterly hated her.

Marinette positioned herself next to Adrien giving him a small smile.

"Howdy partner." She said in a small voice.

"Nice to have you here."

Nice to have you here? What the hell are you on about Agreste? Where else would she be? Florida? Adrien mentally scalded himself for the ridiculous line and looked down at his desk. A glorious giggle pulled him out of his thoughts and he looked back at the blunette girl sitting next to him.

"Well, I wouldn't be anywhere else on a Monday morning." Her smile widened.

"Not if you wanted to graduate." He smiled back at her relaxing a little.

"Touché" she replied.

They stared at each other for a moment recognising something in each other's eyes. Their smiles began to drop when the tension built to an uncomfortable level. They'd been in this position before. They both knew it. Laughing together, staring at each other, tension building and then an overwhelming need. New York replayed again in their minds. What was going on? It was as though destiny wanted them to be together, it was daring them to immerse themselves in a power neither of them understood.

FLASHBACK - NEW YORK

Adrien had managed to sneak out the hotel suite he was sharing with his father and Nathalie. He'd arranged to meet Nino, Alya and Marinette in Central Park so they could go and do a bit of sight seeing together. He found them near to the Plaza Hotel, across the road from the entrance to Central Park. As Nino was congratulating Adrien for escaping, Alya let out a loud screeched.

"Come on! Let's go on a carriage ride." Grabbing hold of Nino's hand she led them to the park and queued ready for their turn in a carriage.

"Looks like there's only two seats." Alya said, faking sadness.