Part 7

(Note : Let's pretend French language is like Octoling language)

Mark P.O.V

I took my head in both of my hands, pressing my elbows against my knees. Daylily was a test subject. In this Metro. Then, she failed one of those stupid tests she had to do, and got sanitized, brainwashed as a consequence. She endured things that I probably couldn't even imagine, and I never took care to ask her if she was mentally fine, if she was still suffering from those events. Her past was way more darker than I first thought.

I felt so bad, like if I didn't correctly took care of her. She was my best friend, the only girl I was really feeling close to. In fact, I never got involved in a friendship like the one I had with Daylily. And now, I may have lost her forever ...

I started feeling tears coming up to my eyes. I felt guilty and awful. I wished I didn't stay without moving at Morray Towers, I wished I didn't listen to Tria and grabbed Daylily's arm instead, so we could talk and explain each others.

I wished I didn't act like a dumbass.

I jumped a bit when I felt Dominic's hand on my shoulder. I looked at him.

Dominic (having a worried look) : Hey ... What on your head? Want share?
Me (cleaning a bit my eyes of the tears) : I ... I just feel awful... that Daylily took my comment like that... I didn't mean it that way I just ... oh that's true you don't know what happened. Do you want to know ?
Dominic : I actually know.
Me (surprised) : You do?
Dominic : Yes I was in the crowd when sister slapped you. I don't know what you said to deserve that though.
Me : I ... I showed off to another teammate that I was the only X7... the best one and the real one...
Dominic (thinking) : Hmm... I understand why she reacted like that then.
Me (blushing a bit) : Yeah I know as well. Yune, her girl best friend, told me that Daylily is actually in love with me... and I hurt her feelings by saying this...
Dominic : Not only. She probably felt like she is not worth being in your X7 group... or worth your heart.
Me (quickly redressing myself) : She does !
Dominic (looking amused) : Worth the group or your heart?
Me (blushing harder) : ... both. (I quickly change the subject) Anyway, you still haven't told me your plan. Where are we going next ? Where do you think Daylily is ? And most importantly, why she decided to come back here, in the Deepsea Metro ?
Dominic : I think that sister react on the emotion, on her anger, and she came back her to ...(he took a deep breath)... to get sanitized again.
Me (in total shock) : W-what ???
Dominic : I know! After all she endured, it looks insane but... I'm pretty sure she do that. She is looking for power, be stronger. To be in the X7.
Me (standing on my feet) : But she is in real danger! We have to find her quickly!!!
Dominic (standing as well) : Mark, please sit down, we are not even there y-

The Metro suddenly stopped really fast, and this time I fell on the ground, the face against the floor. I quickly stood up, looking in the direction of C.Q.Cumber. He was slowly coming towards us. The door of the Metro opened as soon as he got close to it.

C.Q.Cumber : There you are. Test Subject Number 10 007 went this way... with a few friends, if you allow myself to warn you.
Dominic (grabbing is Octoshot) : Darn ! So she is already sanitized?
C.Q.Cumber : Goodluck, young men.

And like that, he crawled away. Me and Dominic looked at each other, nodded and ran out of the Metro. A few steps further, I could hear the Metro going away.

(An unknown amount of time later)

I was feeling sick again. Not hearing the Calamari Inkantation was probably the reason. I knew this song was a cure for the Sanitized Octoling, but I didn't know it could allow the Inkling to feel better while taking the Metro... and get sick if they are not hearing it.