Part 8

(Note : There's a bit of violence in this chapter. You have been warn.)

Daylily P.O.V

I regret everything.

Sanitization was the worst thing I could do. I thought I was strong enough to resist, strong enough to stay awake and still be myself. I was so wrong. I have never been so wrong in my entire life.

I've been egoist. I was looking for power, just for myself, to feed my anger and avenge my pain. I never thought about the consequences...

I couldn't remember at that moment what was going on. I was still trapped in the dark, in my nightmares. The only thing I could see was little flashes. Only 4. That was an interesting experience, because those flashes were actually part of my life in the Octarian Army, before I went to the surface. For the first time, I was able to see my past. An interesting experience, but still a nightmare.

The first memory happened when I was a child. I knew because I saw my hands ; they were tinier. I was with other Octoling children. I then turned my head on my side to see the only Octoling boys in the place, my twin brother. He softly smiled at me. End.

In the second memory, I was older and facing Tessa. We were both standing in front of each other, looking straight in the eyes. Then, she handed me something ; it was my first Splat Dualies ever. End.

The third memory was painful. I was on the ground, trying to protect my head with my hands, tears running down my face while some Octoling girls were kicking me. I didn't knew what I had done to deserve this treatment. All my body was in pain and bruised. End.

The last memory was mysterious. I was just running, and I kept looking behind me. Clearly, I was running away from something ... or someone. Suddenly, I felt a huge pain in my back and I fell on the ground. End.

There was also that moment when I came back a bit to myself, sitting in the Metro with the others Octoling. That was the only time where I could hear something. That something was a song. It was calming my soul. But then, I felt bad ; again, nothing but darkness, fear, confusion... and a killing silence.

I thought I was going to stay in that darkness forever when suddenly, I heard a voice. A deep, panicked one. Gaining some hope, I tried to focus on it :

??? : Day... I didn't ... MEAN... hurt... come back...X7...

I could recognize a male voice but it wasn't enough. I absolutely had to focus ! It was my only hope ! I had to be stronger! I fought this numb feeling even more and I listened to the voice :

??? : ... flower... begging you!... the girl I feel the most close to... (the voice was clearer and clearer)... more than a best friend to me, I see it now! Do you remember our promise? You and me, it's forever ?

At that exact moment, when I finally recognized Mark's voice, I came back to myself, without a warning, the same way someone would have turned on the light. I was able to see and hear everything clearly. Ignoring my confusion and tiredness, I quickly analyzed the situation.

I was obviously fighting with Mark, because I had my Splat Dualies in my hands, while Mark had his N-ZAP 83 in his, our arms pressed against each others arms. Tears were running down his face. His desesperate expression turned into a happy and confused one when he saw the change in my behavior. In the corner of my eyes, I could see my brother Dominic holding his nose, on his knees and his hand covered in blood. I could also hear the hysterical laugh of all the Sanitized Octoling girls surrounding us.

That means they were still thinking I was being controlled. I had the advantage of the surprise but I had to be quick or Tessa would start being suspicious.