Chapter 9 - Leaving Him

HER

(Flashback)

AS SOON AS WE FINISHED BREAKFAST, WE HEADED OUT TO MONTECARLO BUILDING. We grabbed two hot caramel macchiatos before going to the 5th floor. He said my office will just be adjacent to him. True enough, when we reached the administration floor, there was a new office next door to him.

I have not been in the building the past six months. I have been busy in school since I was graduating. I remembered that the new office was a vacant space before. We were toying with the idea of making it a lounge area for the employees and setting up a pool table so if people need a break, they can relax and de-stress.

I gave him that idea and told him I can even design the lounge. However, when I brought it up one time, he said he had other plans for the space and changed the topic completely. Now I know why.

"Welcome to your new office, Baby!" He said excitedly. It was a Saturday so it's just the two of us on the floor. There was a royal blue bow on the doorknob. He set it up like a gift for me.

I turned the knob and was surprised at how big it looked inside. It has an overlooking glass window and that made an illusion of making the space huge. I have always wanted a glass window. I do not want to be enclosed in an office with 4 painted walls. And Tristan knows that.

The side walls are all painted with repose gray. He knows my favorite colors are shades of blue and gray. I am not surprised that he already picked the color of my walls. Like I said, he decides a lot of things, and I let him be. And it's just irritating me more right now. Before, I would be fine when he makes these simple decisions but now, for some reason, it is pushing my buttons. All I know is I am ready to make a stand in this relationship.

Since I sent that online application for the internship, I learned to make my own decisions again. It started with simple things like choosing what food to eat. I remembered, it was my last semester before I graduate, and he picked me up from my friend's house. We were finishing our design thesis. I was tired and starving.

"You look tired, Baby. I already made a reservation at Phil's Bistro. They have a new dish that you'll love." He said while looking concerned on my worn-out face. My eye bags are already puffing out from sleepless nights trying to finish my thesis.

"Babe, I just want a bacon burger right now. Let's just go to a fast-food restaurant. I don't want anything fancy tonight." I said tiredly.

"But Baby, you need real food. It's not going to take long. Phil already knows that we're coming." He still pushed while he was driving.

Even though I don't want to fight because I am so exhausted, he stirred something in me that night.

"I said I just want a burger! Let's just go to a drive thru joint so I can grab my burger. You can drop me off at home after." I said annoyed.

"Baby, you're being immature. Can you please stop acting like that?!" He said while trying to contain his anger. I could see him clutching the steering wheel.

"Oh, yes! I'm always the immature one! For Pete's sake, all I want is a burger and I can't even have it! I can't believe we're going to argue about this!" I said angrily.

"Stop the car, Tris. I'll just take a cab. Just go to Phil's if he's already expecting you." I said exasperated.

He did not say a word. He just continued driving until we saw a fast-food joint in the corner. He grabbed a bacon burger for me, dropped me off at home like I said. He did not even bother going down. He just waited for me to enter our house, then, he drove away and left.