Chapter 28 - Confession

HIM

           SAM CLOSED THE DOOR AND WALKED TOWARDS ME.  I know what is coming and I will never be prepared for this.  It is better to face it right now.

           "I want to slap you hard right now but I am trying to control my emotions, Tristan.  We are grown adults here and I want you to tell me what is going on.  I will try to listen even though my heart is telling me no.  Talk!"  Sam said angrily. 

           "Sam, I am sorry.  Whatever you saw, whatever you heard, those are all true."  I said with all humility.

            "I was just gone for two weeks and you went whoring around! That's why you were acting strangely, you did not even want to touch me since I came back! And to make matters worse, you did it with your employee!  How dare you!"  She was filled with rage.

            "That is not entirely true.  She is not just my employee..." I said to her.

            "What do you mean?"  She looked confused. 

             "She was the girl, Sam.  Alecx was the girl who left me.  She was the reason I was devastated when you met me several years ago.  But I am grateful that you still took a chance on me.  I learned to love you. That is not a lie.  I have loved you all the time we have been together. Until I saw her again. I thought I was totally over her but I realized that I have not moved on.  After all these years, she is still the one.  I am very sorry, Sam."  I said sadly.

Sam sobbed silently. I tried to hold and console her but she did not even want me to touch her. With the pain that I have caused her, I do not even want to ask for her forgiveness because I don't deserve it.

After pouring her heart out, she tried to compose herself and looked at me with pain still lingering in her eyes. She left me in the room without even uttering a single word at me.

              We stayed just for a couple of minutes and left the party together.  She was silent the whole trip in the car until we reached our loft.

             "I will just leave you alone and let you rest.  You can stay in the loft.  I will go ahead."  I said to her.

             "Are you going to her?" She replied.  I can still see the hurt in her eyes. 

             "No.  I just want to give you your own time.  I know you probably don't even want to see my face right now.  I am not going to do anything until we are able to figure things out."  I said humbly.

              "There is no need to figure things out.  We are already done.  I will never be able to measure up to her.  I saw you on your worst times and I remembered thinking how stupid was that girl for leaving you behind.  I thought I can replace her but I am wrong.  It is better this happened before the wedding.  At least we have time to end this now.  It is just deciding when is the right time to break it to our family and friends."  She let out a deep sigh.

             "Sam, I am so sorry."  I apologized again.

              "Don't be. I just feel worse every time you say that."  She got out of the car and slowly disappeared from my sight.

              I buried myself at work the next few weeks.  I had never ending meetings everyday and traveled a lot to different states for business engagements.  I am getting a lot of proposals for mergers from prestigious companies.  The Montecarlo Group of Companies is unstoppable.  While I am thriving on the financial aspect of my life, my personal life is in doom.  I feel so empty.  The last time I felt this way was when Alecx left me 9 years ago.  History is repeating itself.  She is my curse. 

              I am still waiting for Sam to decide what she wants to do.  I want to give her enough time.  She deserves it and I owe a lot to her.  I also honored Alecx's plea to stay away from her.  I did not even go to the office after that eventful night and kept my distance away from her.  And I think she is right.  I also want to come clean to her.  I made up my mind that I will only come near her once everything is completely over with me and Sam. 

                I noticed that it was Carla who forwarded the final touches on the hotel project.  Not until the groundbreaking of the hotel that I learned that Alecx took a leave.  Todd did not even say anything to me.  He probably does not want me to think that his architects leave their projects hanging.  If he only knew. I was the real reason Alecx decided to take a break.

              Sam finally talked to me after the groundbreaking ceremony.  I was surprised that she attended the event but I know how she loved the boutique hotel project.  We had a long and meaningful talk.  We both cried. 

              Sam will always hold a special place in my heart.  She mended me back when Alecx broke me into pieces.  She helped me back on my feet during my darkest times without Alecx.  And I will forever be grateful to her. 

                After that talk, it was the first time I was able to breathe freely without any heaviness in my chest.  It was a long time coming.  Now, I am ready.  I am going back to Alecx.  I am coming home to my Baby.