Chapter 18 - Truce

HIM

I WOKE UP EARLY. I wanted to call Sam, but she may still be sleeping. We have a three hours' time difference now that she is on the West Coast. I did my routine pushups before going to the shower.

I am supposed to have video meetings today even though it is the weekend. There are some important decisions to be made back home. It is always difficult every time I go out of the country. Once we finalize the hotel design and start the groundbreaking, I may need to cut our trip short and go back home.

The loft that I bought is just a 15-minute walk from the corporate building. I grabbed some coffee before heading straight to my office. Todd (Mr. Archer) made sure that I have my own office even though I will just be staying here for a couple of months. He knows that I am a busy man and will be conducting meetings most of the time.

As soon as I stepped out of the elevator, I heard a faint jazz music playing. It is the weekend so there should be nobody here in the building except me. I followed where the sound was coming from. I already have a gut instinct as to who it is. I saw the door of her office slightly ajar. I opened it and saw her busy working on her desktop.

"Good Morning, Architect." I greeted her. She looked surprised when she heard my voice. I grinned at her and walked towards her desk.

"You still love Wynton Marsalis." I smiled when I made that statement. I can still remember; she will always play his records while she is working on her plates and projects. She has a complete collection of Wynton Marsalis CD's. We will slow dance to his music, and she loves it whenever I twirl her around.

"What are you doing here on a Saturday?" I asked her.

"Why do you think I am working on a weekend?" She shot back at me. I know she is probably working on the new hotel design. I grinned at her. I no longer want to fight with her. The bitterness between us needs to go. We will start anew.

"Have you had your coffee?" I asked again. She looked at her 16 oz mug instead of saying yes.

"How about breakfast?" I continued prodding. She just kept quiet and did not bother to answer me. I went around her desk, grabbed her hands, and made her stand up.

"Hey, what are you doing?" She asked, annoyed.

"Come on, let us have some breakfast. My treat. Food will make your grumpiness go away." I pulled her away from her desk so she could follow me.

"Tris, I am working. Go have your breakfast alone." She said, trying to get back on her chair.

"I like it that you are now calling me, Tris. That's a start. I am going to call you Alecx again. Let us cut this formality, ok? Come on, it will not take us long." I said, still smiling at her.

She did not have a choice because I am holding her hand and have no plans of letting it go. She just followed me and went along. She snatched her hand and we walked side by side in silence until we reached the nearby coffee shop. I do not think she is planning to order something, so I got both of us breakfast sandwiches and two cups of coffee.

"I know we started on the wrong foot, but I want to make this right. Can we start being nice to each other? No more cat and mouse games. I want us to be friends. Can we do that please, Alecx?" I asked sincerely.

She just continued to stare at me. She still has not said a single word since we arrived in the coffee shop. Her face is blank, and I cannot read her. She is being her usual stubborn self. I am starting to get irritated, but I need to keep my cool if I want this to work.

"I must say you have come a long way. I know how talented you are, and you will make it big wherever you go. I am so happy for you. I really mean that." I said wholeheartedly.

"Why do you want us to be friends?" She finally broke her silence.

"Why not? Don't you want us to start anew?" I asked her.

She let out a deep sigh and looked me sadly in the eyes. "Tris, for what it's worth, I just want to say sorry. I tried calling you before I left but you did not give me a chance."

"Alecx, that is behind us now. No more explanations. Like what I've said, let us start fresh. Friends?" She smiled and nodded.

"So, you really like it here, huh! You never came back to visit yet? By the way, how are Paul and Tita Maggie?" I asked. Our order came and we started working on our sandwiches.

"I have not been back home, but mom and Paul already came to visit me here. I have just been too busy. I never got the chance to have a long vacation yet. Maybe soon." She replied.

"I hope they are doing well. Please send my regards to them." She nodded.

"So, tell me about you. How long have you been together with your boyfriend? Raffy is that right? He seems to be a good guy." I asked.

"Raffy? Oh, we are not together. He is just a good friend." She replied.

"Really? You looked cozy together when we were at the lounge. So, you have changed! You are letting guys hug and put their arms around you now!" I teased.

"Yes, I have changed. I grab any guy I see and hug them." She replied playfully.

We both laughed at her remark. We continued with our conversation and did not even notice the time. I am glad that we are finally able to break the ice. I hope we continue to be like this. I do not know where this is going. All I know is I feel happy being with Alecx again.