Chapter 11 - The Gang

HER

I WAS DONE WITH WORK BY 5 PM. I called Carla, but she was still busy with a client.  She said she is going to meet me in the lounge.  She already made a reservation at 7:30 PM.  The "Gang" will just meet us there, too.

The "Gang" consists of Raine, Jill, Raffy and Jake.  We met them at one of the company parties last year. Since then, we have hung out every now and then.  They are a crazy bunch.  They make us laugh and this is what I need right now.

Carla knows me too well.  I bet she wants to cheer me up after what happened this morning.  She does not think it can wait until tomorrow.  Setting up a get together on a Thursday is pretty unusual, so I think the gang is curious why we are meeting up tonight. They will probably harass me and Carla, tell them what is going on.

Suddenly, I heard my stomach growling.  I am starving!  I barely ate lunch because I had to meet a new client and lay out a new design plan. He wants to build a Bohemian Style Coffee Shop in the West End Village of the city. Since I just finished the hotel project, Mr. Archer already gave me a new client.

I actually like it when I am busy.  But at this point, I am already exhausted. I wonder when I can have a long, nice break.  Our company has been busy the past couple of months, a lot of projects are piling over us.  I hope one of these days, Carla and the rest of our group can plan even a weekend getaway.  That would be lots of fun.

           When I am hungry like this, my comfort food is burgers, fries, and shakes! And after that disaster this morning, I need to treat myself.  I headed to my favorite burger joint which is just 1 block away from our office.

As soon as I arrived at the place, I immediately saw Raine and Jill waving at me. I walked to them smiling and gave them hugs.

"Hi, Gorgeous! You are craving for burger, too!  Beautiful girls really think alike!" Raine said jokingly.  Jill and I laughed at her remark.

Raine is a flamboyant gay.  His real name is Reynaldo.  Since he moved here in the city, he officially changed his name.  There is never a dull moment whenever we are with him.  Raine is the official clown of the gang.  He is usually the one who organizes our "get togethers."  So, it must be a shock to him that Carla called everyone tonight.

Jill is a lipstick lesbian. She is beautiful, definitely a heartbreaker.  You won't even think she is into girls.  Raine and her have been good friends since they were in college.  They moved here in the city at the same time after they graduated.  Both were not accepted by their families back then, so they decided to leave home.  Fortunately, this city embraced them.  This is where they finally found freedom and acceptance. 

They both work in the same media company. They were the ones who threw and organized our company party last year.  All of us clicked together and the rest is history. 

           "Where is Carla?" Jill said looking if my best friend is behind me. I just smiled. Sometimes, I think she likes Carla. But maybe, I am wrong.

"She is still with a client. She will meet us in the lounge." I replied to her.

"Is Papa Raffy and Papa Jake coming, too?" Raine asked.  He calls them "Papa" as a term of endearment. 

"Yeah, I think they are coming, too. Carla said she called everybody." I answered.

There was a long line to order food. It took us almost 30 minutes before we finally got our burger and shakes but it was definitely worth it.  If I do not do my morning workouts, I would probably be huge by this time.  I love junk and fast food but every time I give in to my cravings, I make it a point to be a good girl the next couple of days and add more time in my exercise routine.

"Girls, I am so full! Why don't we take a walk before we go to the lounge?" Raine said.

            I looked at my watch, it was half past 6.  I agree with Raine.  We can still go for a stroll.  Carla may not even be there. 

"I am down with that! I actually felt sleepy after that huge burger! I might doze off when we go straight to the lounge."  Jill grinned at my remark.

I linked my arms with both of them and nudged them to get going.  A short walk will be nice with this beautiful weather.