Chapter 17 - Small World

Shoutout out to @chapmanvause for the comment. Glad you like the story! As promised, I will upload some chapters earlier.... Happy Reading!!!

               ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

HIM

WE ARRIVED EXACTLY AT NOON IN THE RESTAURANT.  Sam was ready when I picked her up from our loft.  The place was packed.  It is good that I was able to get a reservation this morning after we talked.  The hostess ushered us straight to our seats.  I am starving.  I was not able to eat breakfast this morning after my meetings.  I ordered a huge steak while Sam got herself some soup and salad.

Sam brought our guest list for the wedding.  We already have 100 people on the list.  I want it to be intimate, but both our parents have a lot of friends that they want us to invite as well.  Honestly, I do not want it to be a big spectacle, but I already bet that our wedding will make it to the headlines of the lifestyle/society page in the magazines back home.  I will let Sam deal with that.

While we were talking about the guests, I saw her gaze focused on the reception area.  I am facing her directly so I cannot see what made her face suddenly lit up.  I saw her smile and said,

           "Honey, look who's here!"  She waved her hand at someone and I turned around to follow her gaze.  I saw Alecx and Carla talking to the hostess in front.  Carla was smiling at us and waved back at Sam while Alecx kept a straight face.  I saw Carla motioned through her hand that they were heading out.

          "Wait! Let me go to them, Hon.  I think they are being turned away.  They might not have any reservations.  Can I ask them to join us?"  Sam did not even wait for my answer.  She stood up and headed straight to them.

I cannot believe it!  To think this is a big city, it is getting smaller and smaller for me and Alecx.  We keep on bumping with each other.  I already decided this morning that I will stay away from her as much as I can after she gives me the first draft next Friday.  If I like the new design, I am going to ask her to finish it and let Mr. Archer take over.  But fate is playing tricks on us.  We must face each other again twice in a row in one day.

I saw Sam holding Carla's arm while Alecx trailed behind them.  I stood up and asked for two more seats from the waiter to add to our table.

     "Hon, look who I am with!"  She said excitedly.  She was still holding Carla's arm while leading them to our table.

"Hi, Mr. Montecarlo.  I already told Sam that we were heading out.  We were not able to get a reservation, but she insisted for us to join you."  Carla said shyly.

"That is fine, Carla.  You are welcome to join us.  And I already told you, just call me Tristan."  I replied to her smiling.  Alecx was just quiet beside her.  I can sense that she did not really want to be here.

I let them take their seats before I sat down and called the waiter so they could get the menu.  After they ordered, Sam broke the silence.

"So, you guys are really good friends.  How long have you known each other?" Sam asked curiously.  She is trying to start a small talk.

"We have known each other for almost 8 years now.  Am I right, Alecx?"  Carla looked at Alecx and she nodded for confirmation. 

"We were both interns at different firms before we moved to Archer and Associates.  Since then, we have been best friends." Carla continued.

"That is great.  Seldom do you find somebody that you can relate to. I can tell you guys are really close.  I have never been lucky with girlfriends.  But fortunately, I found my person in Tristan.  He is my best friend."  Sam looked at me lovingly.  I held her hand while smiling at her.

"I am glad to hear that.  You really look good together.  You are lucky to have each other."  Carla said sincerely.

I wonder if Carla knows about my past with Alecx.  I bet she does, knowing she is Alecx's best friend.  She may be feeling awkward about the situation, too.  I feel guilty that Sam is the only one in this table who does not have any single clue about me and Alecx.

          "If you do not mind me asking, when is the wedding?"  I was surprised to hear Alecx ask that question.

     "Summer next year.  We have less than a year to prepare.  That is why Tristan wants to start groundbreaking for the hotel before we go back home.  We will be very busy with the preparations once we leave here.  So, I hope you understand if Tristan is being pushy with deadlines."  Sam explained.

I am glad she said that so Alecx knows that I am not just giving her a hard time.  There is truth behind why I want her to do the new hotel design sooner.

           Alecx smiled and nodded at her.  I am trying to gauge Alecx's reaction, but she kept a straight face.  I wonder what she is feeling.  Since we met again, we never had a good conversation.  We have been sarcastic and bitter towards each other. 

I think it is about time that I mellow down.  I need to forget about what happened between us.  The only way I can move on is if I leave the bad memories behind us and start anew.  Maybe, we can be friends this time.

I looked at her while holding Sam's hand.  She probably felt my gaze and she looked back at me.  I can see sadness in her eyes.  I wonder why.