Chapter 10: Direwolf Blue

Once Lin was feeling better, they decided to take a day off before going back to the show to check out the new fair. Lin dragged Jon through the entrance excitedly, like a little kid looking at all the rides, attractions, and stands. 

"I came here under the impression that I'd get to eat a dozen cookies, and you're telling me there are no cookies?"

As convincing as it was as Jon tapped his foot and crossed his arms, the annoyed attitude was just an act that Jon was putting up—inside he was just as excited as Lin was. Lin stuck his tongue out at him. "Cmon baby, there's funnel cakes instead!"

"It's six o'clock in the e-"

Lin cut him off with a kiss, running further in as he took Jon by the hand. Groff smiled and stumbled over to a funnel cake stand with him. Soon, they were sharing a funnel cake while in line for the Ferris wheel, joking around and holding each other's hands for warmth. Jonathan dipped his finger in the powdered sugar and booped Lin's nose, leaving a white smudge as he doubled over laughing. As a comeback, Lin tilted the plate and poured sugar in Jon's hair.

"Ohmygod!" Jonathan giggled, fluffing up his hair and leaning in to kiss the sugar off Lin's lips.

"Ugh, your gay is showing, faggots," a disgusted voice could be heard behind them. "I was hoping they wouldn't serve your kind here."

Jon froze and Lin's impish grin dropped immediately, the sparkle draining from his eyes to be replaced by pure anger. Lin whirled around to face them only to be stopped by Jonathan quietly reaching out to place a hand on his chest, still staring ahead in his frozen position. He was clearly upset but wouldn't let the bully see that, so he led Lin out of the line before he could do any damage. As soon as they were out of sight, Groff broke down in tears. 

Lin pulled him in for a hug—"I'm sorry that happened,"—but was just pushed away, Groff shaking his head. 

"It's not that... That happens all—the—time to me, I'm used to it," he said in between small sobs. His mind was a mess of emotions. "... D-Do you really love me?"

Lin was shocked by the broken look in Groff's eyes. "What?"

"You would never have to deal with any of this if it weren't for me. You'd be fine. I-I messed up your perfect marriage. I dragged you into a relationship you didn't want. Is it out of pity that you're with me?"

"Groff, of course it isn't! I love you, so much," Lin said, wiping Jon's tears with his sleeve in concern.

"You don't mean that. I-I need to go. I'm sorry." Jon ran out to hail a taxi before Lin could catch him. There was no trace of the carefree mood that had been there earlier.

~ time skip: nearly two hours later ~

Lin had checked his apartment, Groff's apartment, the theatre, and texted the Hamilcast but there was no sign of Groffsauce. In one last attempt at finding him, he walked to the park near Washington Heights. He fought back tears as he saw Groff was sitting in the snow underneath a tree reading just like he had been back in 2007.

"Hey."

Jonathan didn't look up, just lowered his book and shifted over so Lin could sit with him. "How did you know where to find me?" he asked hoarsely.

"It's where we first met. How could I forget?"

Their eyes met and Lin was once again struck by how pure the uncertainty in Jon's expression was. He really didn't know how much he loved him?

"Groff, I don't care what anyone else thinks. After everything we've been through all these years, you still don't believe I love you? Of course I love you. I love the way you walk. The way you dance. The way you sing. I love your smile, I love your direwolf blue eyes, I love the way you constantly talk like you're in love. I love that I can never get you out of my head, and that I never want to. I love that I feel safe in your arms and that just looking at you makes me feel all mushy inside. You are so beautiful and so sweet and so funny and so perfect in every way. Most importantly, you're so perfectly you, and no one else can make me feel the way that you can. You light up my whole world, and I will always be so utterly fascinated by you."

A tear ran down Jon's cheek. "Y-you mean all that?"

"Yes I do. And don't you dare suggest that you ruined any part of my life by being in it." Lin wiped the tear from his cheek. "You make every day of my life worth living and I wouldn't want it any other way. Okay?"

Jon slowly broke into a reluctantly accepting smile and sniffled. "Okay." He leaned into Lin as he held him. "I'm sorry I freaked out. I just never want you to get hurt because of me."

"My name's been through a lot, I can take it."

They held each other just like that for a few minutes before Lin broke the silence. "Hey, I think you owe me a kiss. We were rudely interrupted."

Jon laughed and lifted his head, planting a soft kiss on Lin's lips only to be pulled in and kissed harder. Before long, they were rolling around in the snow, Lin pinned underneath Jonathan as he kissed down his jawline and neck sweetly. "Back to my apartment?" he asked in between kisses, the words rolling off his tongue like honey.

"Mmh," was all Lin could manage, nodding, before he was whisked away by a giddy Jon, walking home arm in arm with the love of his life.

Word Count: 994 Words <3