A Dark Companion (sneak peek)

For those that didn't see the note on my message board, this was an idea I had a while ago and decided to write. And then I thought, why not post the first chapter?

Rough overall summary: When Sirius escaped Azkaban, he had planned on hunting down the traitor, Peter Pettigrew, and then have Harry live with him-if Harry wanted to. He had not foreseen becoming Harry's confidant. And he especially hadn't foreseen some of the things he shared!

Summary of first chapter: Sirius had barely reached Hogwarts when Harry shows up.

Known ship(s): Sirius and Harry, eventual Harry/Ron (background)

Additional notes: most, if not all the chapters, will be short and from Sirius' point of view

Sirius paced the shore, his mind whirling. He had made it to Hogwarts, but now he didn't know what to do. How the hell was he supposed to get Peter? Breaking out of Azkaban was probably easier.

His ears pricked at the sound of footsteps and he moved to run, but then a voice spoke.

"Wait. Don't run away."

It was Harry. Sirius turned, his tail flicking from side to side. The last time he had seen him had been right before the Knight Bus nearly knocked Harry over. Harry had looked wary then.

But there was no wariness in Harry's eyes as they regarded Sirius, only curiosity. He squatted down, one arm tentatively extended.

"You hungry?"

Sirius then noticed the piece of roast beef in his hand. He approached slowly, even though his roaring stomach was telling him to run up and gobble it whole.

Harry smiled as he took it and began eating. "You're not all that bad," he said. "For a Grim, anyway."

Sirius barked, pleased.

Harry laughed. Then he looked around wearily. "I can't stay out here long. Ron's already worried enough as it is, especially after Divination."

Sirius let out a huff. His godson was taking Divination? And he bet it was still taught by Sybil Trelawney.

Harry grinned. "Yeah, Hermione thinks it's rubbish, too. But I can understand why Ron's worried. I mean, his uncle died a day after he saw one. And with Sirius Black after me — for whatever reason — someone's got to look out for me, I suppose."

So he didn't know who Sirius was in relations to him. That was interesting; Sirius would have expected Professor Dumbledore or McGonagall to tell him. Were they trying to protect him by leaving him in the dark? What good would that do? He was bound to find out eventually, and it would end badly.

Harry had started to stand. "I'll see you around, I guess. Next time, I'll bring you some more food, okay?"

Sirius pricked his ears.

"I'll take that as a yes. Bye."

Sirius watched him go. He had learned a couple things about his godson already: he had friends named Ron and Hermione and he was taking Divination. Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad waiting for Peter.

I'm not going to post it officially until at least 90% of the chapters are finished (whenever that is).