Glistening Eyes

I'M FINALLY POSTING THIS PRAISE THE LORD — pardon the title.

Summary: Harry had never really had the chance to do normal things like watching movies. So Ginny decides to do something about it.

Ship(s): Harry/Ginny

Additional notes: companion piece to The Magic of Muggle Films; can be read as a stand-alone

Word count: 581

When Ginny stopped by the Burrow one evening, she found Ron practically bursting with excitement. He was rambling to his mother about the magic of Muggle films — well, not literal magic. The magic in the non-magical sense, he said.

"There's this thing called green screen," he was saying. "You stand in front of it and do whatever it is you're supposed to do, and then they do something with those computers to change the background." He paused to take a sip from his mug.

"And then there's animation." He turned to Ginny, his eyes bright. "They draw every movement by hand!"

Ginny's jaw dropped. "And they do this — all this — without magic?"

"Yes!"

"Damn!" Ginny let out a short breath. "That sounds amazing."

"It is." Ron handed her a cup of tea. "But I would've thought Harry would've told you about this already."

"He didn't." Ginny frowned. "But I suppose that comes from living with those awful people." She refused to call them his family, although Harry had said Dudley might be a tad bit better now.

"Right." Ron's eyebrows were furrowed. "Tell you what. I'll ask Hermione if she could lend Harry some movies. You can watch them together. It'll be a new experience for both of you."

Ginny perked up. "That's a great idea!"

"Perfect. I'll ask her."

"Eat first, dears," said their mother, who had been silently listening until now. "You hadn't stopped by in a week. Your father will love to hear about these Muggle films."

Ron and Ginny exchanged a mischievous look. Love was an understatement.

Harry blinked a few times. He could've sworn he didn't own a television. And he certainly didn't own the movies piled high on the couch. Did he walk into the wrong flat?

"There you are!" Ginny appeared from the kitchen, her hair flowing like a blaze of fire.

Just the sight of her lifted some of Harry's weariness from his shoulders. "Hey." He pecked her cheek and then looked back at the television. "Care to explain...?"

"Well, Ron was telling me and Mum and Dad about the Muggle films he and Hermione had been watching. He said maybe you'd like to see some yourself."

Harry hesitated. He rarely even dared to think about doing something as simple as watching a film or two. Dudley hogged the television back at Privet Drive and his aunt and uncle refused to let him near it anyway for fear Harry would pick up something nonsensical.

Ginny softened a little. "They're not here, Harry. You're free to do as you please." She grinned teasingly. "As long as you take care of yourself."

Harry felt himself relaxing. "You're right. All right, what first?"

Ginny reached into the pile and fished out one at random. "Looks like it's Titanic. It's based off a real event, I think."

"Yeah, it is. Really tragic."

Ginny put the movie in and settled down on the couch. Harry sat down next to her. "Well, Ron warned me the movie is also tragic. Bet you'll be crying by the end."

"Oh, and you won't?" Harry retorted.

Ginny went to say something, then seemed to think better of it. "Okay, we'll both be crying. How's that?"

And she turned out to be right. Because by the end, Harry was aching for Rose and Jack.

"You know, Rita was right about one thing," said Ginny.

"And what's that?"

"Your eyes really are glistening with the ghost of something."

She laughed as Harry groaned.

That quote was in the movie only, but it was fitting.