V

"Ayy, Bee, Cee, Dee, Eee, eF, Geee-."

"Do you need help with the work set?" I hear a strong yet quiet voice ask. I swear to god,some quiet people have enough confidence for it to fit in a bus!
I was enjoying the alphabet session in my head.

"No I'm good thank you." I flick my pencil in the voice's direction.

The practise paper in front of me was easy enough. Like I said,the American education system is much more lenient. I just happen to get bored in maths the most but I was still considered a smart student even in England. Not to brag or anything. I'm bragging.

I look at the time and there is 5 minutes left of this lesson. I start to pack up.

"Would you like some help?" I ask, feeling the need to offer my help considering I knew what I was doing.

The dude seems surprised and just for a few seconds it shows on his face. He probably doesn't get offered help a lot. Most probably, because he looks like the stereotypical nerd and most humans have the birth defect of being an idiot. "Oh! Um no. I'm okay thanks I guess." He mumbles.

Hmm he looks familiar....oh! He's the guy that glared at sassy monster!

"By the way, you suck at 'lowkey' telling people off. That glare you had sent Sassy monster was so obvious, even the bimbos could get what you were implying. Maybe next time wait until I'm gone or do it in a more guarded way." I give the man some advice and I continue to go through the worksheet. I fucking hate maths.

"What do you feel like I was trying to imply?" The dude asks, trying to be sneaky, knowing playing gullible and dumb wouldn't get him anywhere with me.

Well done honey! Good try! Mommy's proud of you.

"Oh shut the fuck up! We both know what you were trying to imply. If you have five more in you're family it means they are most probably high school age and you were worried I was going to question why they aren't in school." I say this calmly like I haven't just exposed him. Hehe I love this.

"So are you going to ask?" The guy says curiously.

"Nah. Honestly I don't care enough." I say in a carefree manner. Little do they know I'm aware that they are academy. The family first part gave it away.

"Oh- okay. My name's Dakota Lee. Most people call me Kota. I know it's weird." He shakes his head, blushing a bright red as I turn to look at him, pencil in hand.

"Nah it's cool, it makes you sound like a power ranger." I bite on to my bottom lip, power ranger is a good nickname.

He chuckles at that and shakes his head. "Me? A power ranger?" He mocks offence.

"You might be fooling everyone else with that nerdy look but I bet you have a sick suit underneath those rags. It's probably gold or something too!" I say excitedly jumping in my chair.

Kota smiles at me and checks his watch, "Well then maths is almost over. It was nice to meet you officially Athena. You sure are an anomaly in this school." As soon as he utters those words, the bell rings and power ranger leaves.

I don't worry about him knowing my name. From what I've observed, Luke seems like a blabber mouth and he and sassy monster probably told them. A good reason why they're also best friends.

Grabbing my charcoal bag, I weave through the crowds of Ashley Waters to my last and most hated lesson, History.

I was put into history as I had to take a humanities subject and it was the only one with room for another student.

As I'm walking, I bump into a girl in the corridors. She has short brown hair and dark murky eyes. If I ever saw her at night, I would think she's possessed.

Her dressing of choice is quite revealing but I keep my eyes to her face. I feel uncomfortable looking at anyone in a vulnerable position. Male or not if I wouldn't want someone to look at me then I expect others to feel the same.

"Watch where you're going bitch!" The possessed demon growls like a little chihuahua. Guess this one doesn't have any manners.

"If you're fortunate enough for your eyes to be working properly,  you can see that this hallway is packed. If you have a problem with people bumping into you then wait till the rush dies down." I suggest in a calm and passive tone.

"Shut up you whore! Dressed like a skank and giving me advice?! Hah! That accent is probably fake too." The girl feels like she's won something.

"I'm wearing loose trousers and a jacket fully zipped up." I deadpan. I can't be asked right now.

As I am about to leave, the girl pushes me into a pair of red lockers, the paint chipping off and looks at me from her height.  Although she is taller, I'm fully aware I could take her out right here if I want to. I instead don't give her the reaction she demands.

I bet she's also the girl that frightened Sang. Marie I think it was. She pushed my back into the lockers, hard enough to give me a few bruises, and holds on to my wrist in a strong hold.

"Look. If you keep talking to Sang and hang around the whore's men, you will face consequences." Marie spits in my face, her voice full of venom.

"Okayyyy! I don't know what's up with you, but you're breath is stanky with a capital S! Who I talk to is none of your business so I suggest YOU learn to keep your fat nose out of my face and hers and we should be good. Your empty threats make me want to projectile vomit so please learn to shut up. If not...well let's say I have ways to shorten your nose's length." With that, I push her off me and barge through her minions to get to my lesson.

Dummy.

I hear her shout behind me, "Oh and stay away from North! He's Jade's man!" screams the possessed demon banshee.

I shake my head. Scary man is nobody's man other than his own and if he and Jade (whoever she is)  were truly together he would of mentioned something when I had fallen into his lap. These girls think I'm that stupid. It's funny really.

I walk towards my History class with slow movements as I use this time to look outside the windows. I love travelling and before moving here with Ross, my uncle, I would go places with my aunty as I was homeschooled for most of my childhood.

There's a slight mist in the air and from far away you can see the busier area of Charleston. I feel weird and foreign in America. It's as if I'm not actually living but spectating over these people. I feel like an outsider and honestly I've accepted the feeling.

For as long as I can remember, I haven't been one to socialise outside of my friends group. I have 5 people I consider myself close to but other than that i don't like to talk much. It's not really because i'm shy but because I don't see the need to talk when I can observe. It also helps when I'm looking for signs of abuse like on Sang. My intuition is much stronger.

It's one of the reasons I know about The Academy too. I dabbled in hacking when I was 13 and found a some government information. I now do something similar to them. The only difference between what I do and what The Academy does, is that I don't play by anyone's rules and the people I help are my main priority not family. The academy takes hurt people in and helps them, surrounded by good vibes and happy people who've healed. On the other hand,  I give them a place where they don't feel like outsiders whilst healing, a place they can relate to others like them and heal together.

The academy is too flashy whilst not even the government is aware of my presence. Like I said, I'm a spectator. The academy will force information out of you if they want it whilst I will wait.

It's also why I dislike them. Not enough to hurt them, but enough to keep a respectable distance between us. However, right now I'm having a dilemma. Something about Sang makes me want to help her and I will but it means I must socialise with the academy members. Just this once, the spectator's going to have to work with The Academy to save a bird fading away into a ghost. I have to help her until it's too late and like me, she becomes what I call, a spectator.