Never Leaving You

Maybe. Just maybe if they had decided to check the wiring in their new house, they would've seen the faulty electrical system. All they had to do was have it checked and then, it would've been prevented. This was the thought running through all of their minds as the four boys layed in their hotel rooms, their minds on nothing but the past hour. Colby looked at his best friend softly sleeping in the bed beside him, and after what happened, Colby didn't even think about sleeping, but more importantly, after that night, he knew he would never leave Sam's side again.

Earlier that night...

Colby held the door open as Sam weakly stepped through, his new back brace easing some of the pain, but certainly not all of it. After a long night at the hospital, both boys were exhausted and all they wanted to do was get some sleep. The house was quiet when they arrived back home, giving the assumption that their other two roommates were most likely asleep. Colby helped Sam gently climb the stairs to his room, and once he reached his room, Colby gently set him on the bed. Sam groaned in pain.

"Who would've thought filming a Tiktok would go so wrong," laughed Sam, putting his hand to his back that he had broken only hours ago.

Colby laughed. He watched as Sam struggled to get under the covers of his bed. Groaning in pain again. Colby helped him a little, and made sure he was as comfortable as possible.

"Thanks Colby, for everything," said Sam.

"No problem at all," said Colby. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yes," said Sam.

"Cool," said Colby, running to his room beside Sam's. He came back with a blanket and pillow and set them down on Sam's floor.

"What are you doing?" asked Sam.

"I'm sleeping in here tonight," said Colby. "I wanna be close by, in case you need help."

"Colby don't be ridiculous," said Sam. "Your room is right beside mine, you can't possibly be any closer."

"I think it would be better for me to stay," replied Colby.

"Colby please," said Sam. "I don't need a babysitter."

"Alright fine," said Colby picking up his stuff. "But if you need anything, just yell for me, alright?"

"I will, I promise," said Sam.

"Night Sam," said Colby getting up and shutting off Sam's light.

"Night Colby," answered Sam, shifting in his bed to get comfortable. Colby then shut his door.

Colby stood outside his best friends room, he wanted to go back in, something in his gut told him he should, but he ignored it. He took his hand off of the knob and returned back to his own room. Colby didn't know it at the time, but that was a decision he would live to regret for the rest of his life.

The blaring of the alarm immediately woke Colby from his slumber, he bolted up from his bed and his eyes began to sting as black smoke seeped in from under his bedroom door. Colby quickly hopped from his bed and grabbed one of his shirts and brought it to his mouth and nose. Aside from the alarm in his room, he could hear the other ones blaring through the whole house, but he also heard something else. The screaming. Colby's eyes widened. Sam! He could hear his best friends voice through the walls.

"Colby!!!!" yelled Sam.

Colby rushed over to his bedroom door and was able to grab the knob. He threw it open, which was a bad idea as the smoke enveloped his body, he shielded his eyes with one hand, his other still holding the shirt over his mouth and nose. He could see the flames coming through the wall and into his and Sam's hallway. He shielded his eyes as he made his way over to his best friend's door, watching as smoke seeped from under the crack in the bottom.