Close Call

Sam and Colby raced to the gate as they heard someone yelling behind them. They had just finished exploring an abandoned place and decided to sneak out through what they thought were office buildings.

They stopped running as they were surrounded by what looked like security, judging by their yellow vests. Sam and Colby froze as the two security guards in front of them pointed their guns straight at their chests.

"Keep your hands where we can see them!!!" security shouted.

"We were just filming-," started Colby.

"Shut up or we will shoot you!!!" shouted the security guard. One security guard spoke into her walkie talkie.

"We need the Miami PD out at the elementary school, two suspects," she said into the walkie.

Sam and Colby looked at each other worriedly as they realized how much worse the situation just got, they were two teenagers, with masks and backpacks, running through an elementary school, it didn't look good.

Sam shot a quick glance to Colby. "We'll be fine okay." said Sam reassuringly his voice shaky. "You hear me Colby, we're gonna be fine alright."

One of the security guards walked up and forcefully spun Sam around, he pushed him up against the fence roughly, holding his hands in place to cuff him.

"Hey leave him alone!!" said Colby stepping forward threateningly, but he didn't make it far as two security guards tackled him to the ground.

"Just do as they say Colby, please!!!" shouted Sam.

"Get off of him!!!!" shouted Colby, struggling beneath the security guards. Colby was on his back looking up into the barrel of a gun.

"Do not resist!!!" shouted the security guard.

"Don't hurt him please!!!!" cried Colby.

"I said shut up!!!" yelled the security guard. "Do you want to die!!!??? I will shoot you!!!"

Colby was pulled up by his jacket to a sitting position, he saw Sam across from him, but he only saw him for a second as the security guard spun him around and cuffed him.

"Keep your hands behind your head, and your head down!!!" shouted security. "Do not speak and do not lift your head!!!"

He could hear the same instructions being yelled at Sam across the lot, it took every ounce of Colby to not look back, he needed to make sure his best friend was okay, but he didn't know what the consequences would be for him or Sam if he chose to disobey, so he kept his head down and stayed quiet.

The Miami police department showed up minutes later. Colby flinched as he was grabbed by the forearm, he looked up to see a cop pushing him gently over to the side. Colby frantically looked around for Sam and saw him being helped up behind him. The cop sat Colby on the curb and sat Sam beside him, the cop could see that both boys were visibly shaken.

"Can you boys explain what you're doing here?" asked the cop.

Sam began to explain their situation to the cop. How they just landed only one hour ago. They went exploring and that they thought these were office buildings. Colby jumped in and said they had no idea it was an elementary school; they weren't from Florida. He explained that they were YouTubers from LA, and they were filming a video.

The cops then looked through their backpacks and when they saw the cameras and the equipment, were able to confirm that their story was true. The cop walked back over to the boys quietly sitting on the curb. They both stiffened as the cop towered over them. The cop pulled Sam up by his forearm.

"Please, please!!" begged Colby.

"Calm down son, it's okay," replied the cop, unlocking the cuffs on Sam. "I hope you realize that you boys had a close call. These guys were legally allowed to shoot to kill if needed. You boys are free to go, but please be more cautious next time."

"Yes sir," said Sam.

Colby let out breathe of relief, and as soon as he felt those cuffs click he jumped up and into his best friend's arms. The blond hugged him tightly. The boys stayed like that for a long while, silently hugging. Their fingers grasping the jacket of the other behind their backs.

"I love you Sam," said Colby.

"I love you too Colby," replied Sam.

During those past few moments, they truly thought they were going to die, and it would've been their own fault. The thought of dying, knowing they put each other in danger was one of the worst feelings in the world. So in that brief moment, they kept each other as close as possible.