Part 6

You walk back into the pub and take your seat, playing the scenario that's just unfolded over and over in your mind, your cheeks flushed and your heart still racing

"What's up with you?" Kim comments, and you feel all eyes on you, furthering your embarrassment.

"Nothing," you mutter, grabbing your drink and taking a swallow, looking away, willing the attention to shift away from you.

You glance over at Van and your eyes lock, your belly flipping as his words play in your head.

I'll deal with you later...

What on earth does he have planned? The anticipation is burning in you and you shift in your seat, the knowledge of your nakedness under your dress making you feel even more restless.

Rob's still sitting so close that there's no gap at all between you and he casually drapes an arm over your shoulder as Van introduces the band and they start to play. There's no mistaking that look in Van's eyes, a stark kind of warning. You shift away uneasily.

Even though the band are just starting out they've already amassed quite a following and it's easy to see why. The talent is there, raw and vital. Van puts so much energy into the performance you could easily imagine him up on a much larger stage one day. He whips his head around, thrashes about with his guitar, swings his hips. In fact he's pretty mesmerising to watch and you find yourself even more intoxicated. Your eyes trail over him and you watch his long fingers picking out the notes on the strings of his guitar. Those fingers... you remember how they made you feel and you squirm in your seat. His voice is sweet and he sings with a passion, squeezing his eyes shut like he's lost in the moment. And he's not the only one...

"Y/N? Y/N!"

"Huh?" You don't even realise that Katie's standing there looking down at you, an expectant look on her face.

"Oh, so you are still with us then? I've been trying to get your attention for ages. D'ya want another drink?"

You accept the offer gratefully, feeling a little flustered that you've nearly been caught out. You make an effort to watch the whole band for the rest of their set, but it's hopeless, you keep finding your eyes wandering back to Van, your mind straying into dark territories.

After the band finish their set they pack up and you start to fret that Van's already slipped away. Shortly after though you can see a tall figure clad in black approaching your table out the corner of your eye and you purposefully don't look up, trying to play it cool. You're sandwiched into your seat between Kim and Rob and turn to talk to Kim, pretending you've not noticed his presence.

"Alright Van?" You hear Rob addressing him. "You played a blinder tonight."

"Cheers mate," he replies. "You errr... getting the beers in then? My round next."

You hear Rob agreeing and then he's up and out of his seat, and you feel another body slip into the vacant space. You don't even have to look to know that Van's sitting there. It's like your body's tuned into him. You can practically feel it thrumming from the knowledge that he's so close. You still sit there, chatting with Kim, making out you haven't realised.