24. Second Day

Katherine Howard POV

Jane wakes me up bright and early again, and I sigh. I don't mind school, but I wish I didn't have to wake up early!! I get out of bed and grab all my things. As I walk down the hall I hear people talking in Catherine's room. I wonder who's in there... maybe Parr needed something? Jane calls me down before I can listen more carefully, and upon hearing Jane call to me the voices stop.

"Ready for your second day?" Jane asks as I sit down at the table. I nod and start eating.

"I'm not really nervous anymore..." I say after eating breakfast.

"That's awesome! I'm proud of you Kitty," Jane says happily. I smile and then leave to put on my shoes. The ride to school is silent, and I think about what's awaiting me in class today. Some of the teachers are assigning seats... I really hope I don't have to sit next to a boy. I wish I could just sit alone. I hug Jane goodbye and walk silently to my first class. Nobody's sitting down, instead there are little groups of people talking to each other. I stand in the corner awkwardly until the teacher comes in, and starts telling people where to sit.

"Kitty, you're in the front row on the left next to Rylee." Our chemistry teacher says pointing to the seat. I nod and sit down, not saying a word to the girl next to me. At least I don't have to sit next to a boy. The teacher starts passing out work and I sit quietly until the next bell goes. The rest of the day goes okay until I have history. Our teacher Mr. Dunn also assigns us seats, and I hold my breath waiting for him to call me.

"Kitty, you'll be sitting up by the front by yourself." I sigh with relief and smile slightly as I sit down. I don't have to sit with anyone!! Thank god... Mr. Dunn starts going over our homework and I sit quietly until the bell goes. I quickly walk out if the classroom and go outside to wait for Jane. While I sit on the sidewalk a girl comes up to me.

"Hi! I'm Rylee, we sit together in chemistry," she says looking down at me and holding out her hand. I look up and open my mouth to say hi back, but freeze as I see four guys walking towards us.

"Hey Rylee! Who're ya talkin to?" On of the guy asks as they stand next to Rylee, forming a circle around me. Don't freak out... they're probably friends of Rylee's... they won't do anything... you're okay. I keep trying to reassure myself as I look down at the ground, and try to ignore the group of people around me.  Just stay quiet.. it'll be okay... Suddenly one of the boys reaches down and taps me on the shoulder. "Hey! I asked ya somethin!" Suddenly my mind goes blank. He touched me, he touched me, he touched me, he touched me, he touched me, he touched me, he touched me, he touched me. I feel my breath start to shorten and bite my lip to keep from crying. He reaches out his hand again but before he can touch me I jump backwards, the guys behind me move and I take that opportunity to run back towards the school and frantically scan for Jane's car. Where is she? Why is she so late!  I just want to be home! He touched me... he touched me.  I can't help but let my tears fall as I sit waiting for her car to show up. By the time my tears have stopped and my breathing has slowed I see her pull up to the school. I walk over to the car and quickly get in, it's quiet as we drive home and when we walk inside I go to walk upstairs when Anne stops me.

"Hey! You're back!" She exclaims and tries to pull me in for a hug. As her arms come towards me I flash back to the school, and before I can really think I step backwards and say,

"I have a lot of homework..." Before running upstairs into my room. I sit on my bed until Jane calls everyone for dinner. During dinner, I try to act normal and afterwards join the others to watch tv, though I make sure to get my own seat so I don't need to be near anyone.

Hi everyone! It's been a while! I'm very sorry I wasn't able to post this in May like planned, things have been crazy with the third wave. Now I'll be getting back to regularly posting chapters!! (Hopefully) I definitely have many pans and ideas for the story, so won't be leaving it anytime soon if everything goes to plan.