25. Dating?

Katherine Howard POV

The rest of the school week goes okay. Rylee doesn't try to talk to me, and the boys never come back. I can't help but smile as the bell rings, signalling the start of the weekend. As I walk out of the building I see Catherine and Anne sitting together waiting by the car. I walk up to them. When Anne sees me she jumps away from Catherine and runs over to me.

"Kitty! How was your day?"

"Good. Did... you and Catherine come to pick me up... together?" I ask

"Oh! Ummmm, no? We... I... uh..." Anne starts to say

"Jane was busy and I'm the only one who can drive besides her. Anne needed to pick something up from University before coming to pick you up. Trust me, it was not my choice." Catherine explains. I nod and look back at Anne. Why couldn't she just tell me that? Anne nods frantically before getting into the back with me. It's really quiet... Anne's not saying anything. I hope everything is okay... We pull up to the house, and when I walk in I see Anna and Jane sitting together on the couch.

"Hey Kitty!" Anna says, before turning back to the movie playing on tv.

"How was school?" Jane asks, turning towards me.

"Good, nothing really happened," I say, before running up to my room. I sit down on my bed and turn on my music and start my homework.

The next couple weeks pass like a blur. School takes up a lot of time. Besides doing homework, I try to spend time with the others, though mostly Anne and Jane. As the end of the month comes around Catherine calls a family meeting.

I walk downstairs to see everyone at the table. I quickly sit down and look at Catherine.

"Thanks for coming," Anne says, looking at Catherine instead of everyone else.

"So... we wanted to call this meeting because we have some big news," Catherine continues. She looks at Anne who nods, and then turns back to us. "Anne and I are... dating. We wanted to tell you for a while, but first we really just needed to see if it would work between us."

"And we're very happy to say it does!!!!" Anne finishes smiling at Catherine. They're... dating? That's... good... it's good for Anne. As long as she's happy. It's quiet for a moment, and then Jane speaks up.

"Well, I'm happy you two moved past everything that's happened," I nod and smile at Anne, who smiles back. The others all agree, and after a couple minutes everyone goes their own way again. I walk into my room and sit on my bed, looking over at the green one across from me. I guess Anne won't need me anymore... she has Catherine. I sit there thinking until Anne comes in.

"Hey Kitty! You okay?" Anne says

"Oh... um... yeah! I was just thinking about something for school" I say quickly looking down at the floor. Anne quietly comes to sit next to me and I look up at her.

"Kitty, you don't have to worry about Catherine and I. I know it's unexpected but we're doing really good. And I promise it doesn't change anything between us, I'll still always be here for you," Anne says smiling gently at me. I nod and give her a quick hug.

"I know... I'm happy for you Anne," I say before running downstairs to help Jane with supper. It's quiet as we all eat together, and after supper everyone goes off to amuse themselves. As I walk up to my room I see Anne just closing the door to Catherine's room. As I sit down to start my homework I can't help but frown. I'm happy for Anne... but, what if she doesn't need me as much as she thinks. I know she said nothing would change but... I don't want to be left alone without her... I finish my work and get ready for bed, as I lie down in bed Anne comes in. I grab my book and start to read a couple chapters as Anne gets ready to sleep. Eventually she lies down in her bed and I put my book away. "Goodnight," I say quietly like usual. However, instead of Anne's usual reply I just hear a soft sigh as she falls asleep.