.one. /Just Cargo/

thirteen years later

It was Ellie's birthday that day.

She was all excited.. she was going to be thirteen.

«Hey» said Marleene as she approached to Olivia outside Travis house «You came for Ellie?» she nodded. Marlene was a family friend she fell for Travis, and he fell for her, but Olivia never liked her that much.

«Of course.. she's my niece» she said with her little present on her hands, as she was waiting for Marlene to open the door, Ellie heard her voice «Aunt Liiv» she came outside running towards her «Hey kiddo!» they hugged each other «I missed you» said the little girl.
They didn't saw each other for three months cause Olivia had to travel for work.

«i brought you a present.. today is your birthday» she sighed «Dad doesn't let me celebrate it.. he said he has too much work» Olivia sighed.. that kid was strong but she needed some time like a kid.
«Let me go talk to your dad for a minute and then we'll go celebrating somewhere, what do you think?» she smiled happily «Yes!».

_______

«Travis?» she said entering to the house «Hey..» he said coming out of his office «You came for Ellie i suppose» there was this thing between them since Marlene came living with him.. he changed his attitude towards Olivia.
«Yeah.. i bought her a present» he nodded awkwardly «So.. how's it going?» she said, he suddenly wasn't that Travis anymore «Good.. work is work you know..».

«I mean with Marlene Travis.. it seems thing gotten pretty serious since i left» she said crossing her arms «Yeah.. kinda».
«Don't let her take her place.. Ellie has to remember her mother and not replacing her» Travis sighed «What do you know about all of this huh? What do you know about Ellie.. about me, about what i'm doing for her» that hurted Olivia's feelings «You don't know nothing Olivia» and with that he disappeared in front of her.

_________

As she was spending time with Ellie, suddenly they heard rumors downstairs «Ellie stay here» the kid got up «Stay here.» as Olivia went checking outside she heard Travis scream, and on the stairs she saw a person running towards him.. as he shot him.
«Travis!» she said, he runned to the stairs «Something is happening Liv.. take Ellie with you, take her away from here» Olivia was confused and Travis seemed pretty scared «But..» He looked at her «No buts Liv, take Ellie away from here».

She took his arm «And you?» he smiled a little «I've always managed y'know.. and i'm sorry for what i said earlier.. i'm so sorry, take this and get out of here!» he handed her a gun.
Her father taught her and Anna how to use a gun or a rifle, she was more into it that Anna, in fact when they were little she usually would go hunting with her father.

She ran back to Ellie's room panicking a little «Take your backpack Ellie, put something in it.. we have to get out of here» as she said that more shots were fired downstairs «What is happening aunt? Where's dad?» she was scared «Your father is fine but we seriously have to go Ellie, take the necessary in your backpack c'mon» she checked how many bullets there were.

«Why do you have a gun.. Liv you're scaring me» said Ellie taking her backpack on her shoulders «Something bad is happening Ellie.. i need to protect you and get you outta here okay? Now you follow every step okay?» the kid nodded as Olivia took her backpack too and opened the door.

No more noises downstairs.. that was kinda worrying her.
«Follow me and don't look around okay?» Ellie was scared.. i mean she was just a kid.
«Oh my god..» said Olivia noticing Travis's body on the ground «Dad..» said Ellie crying «No no stay here Ellie.. i know it hurts» she hugged the kid «I promised him i'll take you out of here, we'll figure something out okay?» she was crying on her shoulder «Don't leave me please» Olivia hugged her tight «I'm not leaving you kid i promise, i'd gave my life for you».

She noticed that Marlene ran away, as Travis gun was no more there «Bitch..» she said under her breath.
«C'mon Ellie.. let's get out of here» she looked at Travis and closed his eyes.. as suddenly he got up «Dad!» but he wasn't himself no more and that Olivia noticed it right away «Travis..» she said as she watched him made strange noises walking towards Ellie «Liv..?» Ellie noticed something strange too, but as he was about to bite her Olivia repeated to herself "Don't make me do it please" but she had to.. so she shot him in the head.

«Are you okay Ellie?» she said running towards the kid «It was like he was a zombie» she said as Olivia helped her get up «I don't really know Ellie.. but he wasn't himself no more».

_____________________________

two years later

Everything was different now.

The world went to shit and everyone lives too.

Marlene created a group called "The Fireflies" their saying was "when you're lost in the darkness, look for the light, believe in the Fireflies" Olivia never liked that group that much but she had to stick with them for a little, she had to for Ellie.. she even had a story with one of them.. Tommy.
Since Ellie was bitten they noticed that she couldn't get infected, so the Fireflies and Marlene found a way to get a cure thanks to her.
Even if Olivia wasn't agreeing with that at one hundred percent.. Ellie wanted to make something good for the humanity.

So she took care of her since today.. the day when Marlene got shot and met Joel and Tess.

______

«I hope she's okay» kept saying in worry Ellie «She's okay kid.. you know Marlene» as suddenly they heard rumors behind the door «Ellie.. you know the rules» the kid hided behind her as from the door entered Marlene that collapsed onto the ground «Marlene» said Olivia as she went helping her then a woman took her from behind pointing her knife at her throat.
«Get your fucking hands away from her» said Ellie with her knife «What the fuck» suddenly said the man «Ellie!» shouted Olivia «Let her go..» said Marlene sitting on her chair «Thank you..» motioned Olivia touching her neck.

«Are you okay?» said Ellie and Olivia nodded touching the kid's hair «They're the cargo» said Marlene looking at the man and the woman «What the fuck is this Tess» he said.. he had a deep voice, something that took the attention of Olivia right away.
«I want you to help Olivia —she said pointing to her— to take Ellie to the fireflies at the museum and i'll give you the weapons» the man sighed «Tess..» the woman.. Tess then spoke «I'm not moving shit since i don't see the weapons» Marlene sighed «Fine, come with me.. but i want Joel to take them away from here» the man sighed again «Just take them to our place Joel, i'll see you there in a few hours» he kept sighing «Just cargo Joel.. as usual».