.six. / You know what's funny about it? /

He entered in Tommy's office.

«I like how you're doing with the city thing» he nodded «Maria is very helpful and she is totally a bad ass» Joel smiled «I saw that».

«You and Olivia..» Tommy sighed and nodded «Yeah.. i met her when i joined the Fireflies, we've been together for a long time until when Marlene caught us» Joel nodded «You still like her?» Tommy laughed at that «You sound jealous» Joel scoffed «No.. of course not i just.. i just want to know».

«What i felt for her will never change, she's amazing, it's hard to find someone as much unique as she is» Joel nodded «I will never stop loving her, she is important to me».

«Olivia is all you wanted to talk to me about?» Joel denied «She's part of it.. i can't take them to the Hospital Tommy.. you know that area much better than me and you care about her» Tommy scoffed «Are you serious Joel? I can't leave Jackson and you know that».
«Tommy i need this» he got up from the chair «I can't, I can't Joel, and first.. you should have the balls to tell her this.. face to face».

Joel grabbed Tommy «You owe me baby brother» the little one smiled «I owe you? C'mon Joel cut the bullshit» he started to anger even more «You survived because of me» he than said by pushing his brother «I got nothing but nightmares because of you» with that Tommy stormed out of the office.

__________

He was arguing with Maria and Ellie hated to see people argue «Is it because of me?» Joel sighed «We'll talk about it later Ellie» with that the kid upset started walking.
Olivia saw her going back to the room Maria made her borrow, she seemed different so she went to check Joel and Tommy.
«What is happening?» she said to Joel as she saw Tommy and Maria arguing, she started thinking that maybe they were arguing because of her «I guess it's marriage» Joel was acting different since the talk with Tommy.

«If anything happens to my husband it's on you and you» she said pointing her finger to Joel and Olivia.
«What is she talking about?» said Olivia as Tommy joined her «She didn't take it well—» but as she was about to replicate a man interrupted them «Tommy the little girl stole one of our horses» Olivia looked at Tommy and all three went for the horses.

«Ellie jeez!» said Olivia as Tommy offered a hand, she sat behind Tommy on his horse.

___________

«Here's the horse!» said Tommy.
Olivia jumped down and took her gun «Be careful».

They entered in the house, Joel went upstairs and found a door semi opened.
«This is all they had to worry about? Boys.. what shirt goes with what skirt..» said the kid reading a diary «Ellie get up, c'mon we're leaving» he said sighing «And if i say no?».
«Do you even realize what your life means? Or how much Olivia was scared when you ran off like that? Putting yourself in danger, jeez Ellie is pretty goddamn stupid».

«What? What are you so afraid of? That i'm gonna end up like Tess? I can't get infected if that is what you worry about» Joel sighed «Tommy knows this area better than anyone» Ellie shaked her head «I don't care» he scoffed «Sorry if i trust him more than myself!».
«Jesus how many close calls have we had huh?» Ellie scoffed too this time «We seemed to be doing alright so far».
«And you will do even better with Tommy!» as he said that he didn't noticed that Olivia was hearing it all.

«I'm not her you know? Maria told me about Sarah..— he clenched his jaw as she said her name — i'm sorry for your daughter Joel but i've lost people too» he pointed his finger towards her «You don't even know what loss is».
«Everyone.. everyone i have cared for has other died or left me, everyone fucking except for you and Olivia —she said pushing him— so don't tell me that me and Olivia would be safer with someone else because the truth is that i would just be more scared».
As she said that Olivia opened the door «You're right.. you're not my daughter and i sure as hell ain't your dad —then he looked at Olivia, and that seemed to making himself feeling guilty about it— and we're going our separate ways».

Olivia laughed a little «You know what's funny about it Joel? I trust Tommy too, i know that he knows this area better than anyone, but i thought for the first time that somebody who wasn't him cared for me.. i mean he always did, and i know he still do.. but the things i told you, the moments we had, i thought meant something to you, but i guess i was wrong, so here..» she said opening the door.

«Remember.. —she stopped him from going out— that kid cares about you and i do too.. remember all of this when you start wondering why you left us».

________

«Ready to go?» said Tommy as Olivia nodded. She took Ellie on the back of her horse and smiled to her «Everything is going to be alright kid» she said kissing her forehead.
Joel was already feeling guilty about his decision.

They started moving and Joel was behind Olivia, she kept talking with Tommy as he noticed Ellie's look.
She was sad.. angry, and he felt guilty about it.

«Well..» said Tommy looking at Joel «Ellie.. come here» he motioned Ellie to get on the back of his horse «Where's this lab of theirs?» he said as Ellie looked at Olivia, she was smiling.
«What are you doing?» said Tommy confused «Your wife kinda scares me.. Ellie c'mon don't make me repeat myself».

«The lab is next to the Cubs college» Joel nodded looking at Olivia, she was happy that he made that decision «Are you sure about that? There's always a place for you in Jackson» Joel nodded and Tommy looked at Olivia «There is one for you too and you know that» she nodded «I know i know».

«Sorry for stealing your horse» said Ellie and Tommy smiled «Are you sure you don't want to talk about it?» Joel smiled «No.. you good? —he said looking at Ellie— see you soon baby brother».