.four. /I would've never leave you behind/

Ellie fell asleep and as Joel was driving he couldn't help but take a glance at Olivia sometimes, he couldn't stop admiring her. She was totally his type: brave, strong, funny and an independent woman.

«What?» she said noticing his look on her «Nothing..» she then smiled and touched his arm «I'm just playing with you Joel» he smiled relieved.. he thought that she upset her for a minute.
«And by the way i like to feel your eyes on me» at that phrase Joel started coughing embarassed and Olivia laughed a little.

«I have a question.. —she suddenly said— what makes Joel.. Joel?» he sighed «Good question..» sometimes he thought he was just a lone survivor.. he was the man who lost everything and kept fighting «It's the surviving thing that made me who i am.. this kind of thing changes you, sometimes in a best version of yourself and sometimes in a worse»

Olivia nodded, she like that mysterious side of him «What makes the brave Olivia, Olivia then?» she smiled «Well.. i think losing my loved ones made me change, when my sister Anna died as she gave birth to Ellie, i knew for sure that moment would've changed everything.. i mean my sister was like a rock for me» he was beginning to trust her even more «She was older than you?» Olivia nodded as a tear showed on her face «She was also the beloved one in my family, everyone loved her, she was beautiful, kind, intelligent.. she married an ambitious businessman, i mean she had everything but that didn't changed her personality, and that's what i loved about her.. she never gave up on me when everyone did».

«I'm sorry..» said Joel noticing her tearing up a bit «It's okay.. i guess i needed to talk about her» he placed his hand on hers and smiled «I know that feeling of missing someone.. i lost my daughter and..» he sighed «I'm sorry Joel.. nobody should know that feeling» she said holding his hand «And i don't want to force you to talk about her, i'm sure she was an amazing kid and as much beautiful as her father» that made him smile, he felt understood after a long time.

__________

Suddenly on the road in front of them appeared a man. «We should help him» said Ellie but Olivia looked around and pushed Ellie back «This is a trap» said Joel looking at the girls «How can you—» as Ellie was about to finish her sentence a car hit them from the side.

Olivia woke up on a chair, noticing blood on her shirt. «Where am i?» she said looking up «Ellie! Joel!» but as she shouted their names a man appeared in front of her.
«What do we have here?» he said smiling «Where are the kid and the old man?» he then said while sitting in front of her «What kid and what man are we talking about exactly?» he laughed looking at the others «Oh we have a funny one right here, you will regret to have said that in a minute baby».

_______

«Ellie.. » he said trying to wake the kid up. As the car hit them Joel was able to throw Ellie out of the car with him, but as he went for taking out Olivia she wasn't there anymore.

«Hey hey..» he said trying to calm the kid down «Where's Olivia?» said Ellie worried «I don't know but i heard screamings coming that way» he looked around and some of them were outside a mall «Okay.. right now i want you to stay here» he said to Ellie but she was about to protest «Ellie no but's, i'm going in there alone..» she sighed «And what if.. what if you are in danger?» he kinda smiled a little «Everything will be alright, i swear to you».

________

«I told you.. i know nothing about a kid and an old man.. you are wasting your time» said Olivia while spitting blood onto the ground «You are an absolute bitch» then said the man but as he was about to punch her again, he noticed that outside the mall his men where dead.

«Let her go» said a voice that Olivia would recognize even from miles away «Why would i listen to you?» he said pointing a knife on Olivia's neck «Because i killed all your men's out there, and this is your last stop if you won't let her go» Joel took a glance at Olivia, she was beaten and covered in some blood, he hated to see her like that «Son of a bitch..» said the man pressing the knife on Olivia's neck, but as Joel made a step forward Olivia hit the man with the back of her head.

Joel ran over and beaten up the guy «Joel.. Joel» Ellie ran into the mall and as she saw Olivia she panicked «Liv!».
«Hey kid..» she said as Ellie hugged her «I thought i lost you for a second» Olivia smiled as Joel was cutting the ropes «You'll never lose me Ellie, never».

«Go take my stuff Ellie, i need to speak to Joel» said Olivia as she got up.
«Thank you.. for before» Joel sighed «No problem, i wouldn't never leave you behind» Olivia smiled, she looked at Ellie and remembered herself when she was about her age, a rebel and brave kid like no one.
«I know that.. and i would've done the same for you».

__________

They crashed in an old motel a couple of miles away from that mall.
Olivia was reading comic books with Ellie as Joel was trying to cook three rabbits.
«Dinner's ready girls» he said from the living room, that scene reminded him of a family thing, it was like he felt as a father and as a husband all over again.. it was nostalgic for him.

«Thank you» said Olivia taking her part.
«How are the bruises?» he suddenly said while eating «They're healing, it's not the first time that i got beaten by someone» Ellie smiled «What's that smile for?» said Joel confused and Olivia laughed «Ellie loves to tell that story don't you?» Ellie nodded laughing «She got beaten up by Marlene one time, it was so funny to watch, but the other time that they argued Olivia literally beaten her ass» Olivia smiled as Joel looked surprised.

As Ellie went to sleep Joel and Olivia remained on the living room.
«I guess you never liked Marlene that much huh?» Olivia laughed «Is that so obvious?» the man nodded with a smile «Well.. kind of».
«She is a bitch most of the times and we can't stand each other, she always sweared that Ellie was like a daughter to her and then she left her alone when her father died.. she ran away, so she better be letting me stay with Ellie at the hospital or i swear i'll put a fucking bullet in her head.. i already told her that».

«That's why you left the Fireflies? Because of her?» Olivia nodded «Yeah.. we always got into fights.. especially me» Joel laughed and Olivia looked at him «You're the first one that isn't scared of my personality» he smiled and touched her hair, then kissed her cheek «Goodnight» he said then walking out of the room.