Chapter Twelve

I was once again in the cosmos. I could see everything, hear everything and I was a witness to all motions in front of me but I was thoughtless. I didn't feel anything nor could I think. I just looked at whatever I could see until I heard him/her/it once again. Ito touched my soul and I was just granted my first thought.

"Hello, Hope. Welcome back. So you made your choice. You actually forgave her."

Thousands of thoughts had flooded my soul like a hurricane. I had just been woken up. I felt pity for myself. I was angry that I was dead. I wanted to live more. To meet my parents, Kris, Marcus but everything was stolen from me. I finally remembered who Ito was. After the accident, I had wondered so many times who Ito was. I wondered why I called his name in my sleep and where could I have found him. Only now did I realize that if I wanted to find him, all I needed to do was die. I laughed at this ironic situation and then I felt desolate. What a ridiculous life has I been given!

Looking at the male figure, with a small smile on my face, I said, "What a choice you gave me. I commend you for the dilemma you put me through. Seriously that's amazing! I actually had to die to protect her. Tell me, had I not stopped my car to save her, would I have lived?"

With a very calm demeanor and a smile, Ito replied, "Why do you ask?"

"I am just wondering. Did I actually have a life had my choice been different?"

"Yes. You did. But had you not driven the car, how would you have saved those thirty-two souls?"

"Thirty-Two? Didn't I just save Emma? Who are these other thirty-one souls?"

"When you blocked the bus from hitting your sister, you also saved a group of twenty-one individuals that were with her at that time. Some were as young as two."

"What about the eleven other people?"

"You didn't just die Hope Perez... you became brain dead in that accident. This enabled you to donate your organs. Do you remember signing a consent form for organ donation after your first accident?"

"Yeah... I do."

"Your eyes brought color to the life of a five-year-old. Your kidneys gave two women the chance of life once again. Your liver saved the life of a fifty-two-year-old man. Your lungs gave a sixteen-year-old the right to breathe again. This list goes on for a few more people."

"You mentioned the last time I was here that I would get to meet my family once again when I finish being reincarnated one more time. So now what?"

I blinked once, and all of a sudden we were outside a door.

"Open this door and go to sleep. When you do wake up, it will be your time to meet your family."

The door was made of wood. It was beautifully engraved with an intricate design that looked as if it was just made. I opened the door and to my great surprise, I was in my bedroom. Everything was the same. My blanket was lying on the bed in a mess just like I left it. I saw the photo frames on my desk. I wanted to cry. Looking at my parents and my sister's face, it finally hit me that I was dead. I was no longer going to meet Kris and I hated what I had put Marcus through. With a very heavy heart, I kept my head on the pillow and cuddled my blanket. Had I been on earth, I could have never fallen asleep. My emotions were a giant labyrinth but in less than a second, I saw eigengrau and felt truly at peace.

124 years later...

I opened my eyes and I was in front of Ito. I was smiling. I had just finished another life on earth. This time, it was a much longer life. Looking at Ito, I said, "Hello Ito. How have you been?"

"Hello, Hope. I have been great. So, are you ready to meet your family?"

With great excitement but in a very calm way, I said, "Yes."

"Just to inform you, it has been 124 years since you died."

"124 years? But my next life on earth was only for 84 years. Where did I spend the last 40 years?"

"You were asleep."

"Well then, that was a very long sleep. It even broke my 14 hours record." I giggled.

"Your soul was waiting for someone. It refused to be born again without this someone."

"Who was this someone?"

"Have patience. Now go ahead and open the door and you will see the people you desire the most."

It was the same door. Made of wood and beautifully engraved with an intricate design that looked as if it was new. I opened the door and I found myself at the entrance of my house. My eyes were moist. I walked inside. It had been so long since I was here. Soon, I could hear mom and dad talking. I ran to the living room. Even Emma was there! They were sitting on the sofa and talking about some things. The moment I entered, they turned and saw me. All their faces were filled with joy. I was the only one in tears. Everyone came and hugged me very tightly. I had longed for this warmth for such a long time. We were about to sit down when Bruce Lee jumped and licked my face. I had missed him too! I heard a very familiar voice from the kitchen.

"Emma, where are the glasses?"

It was Kris!

Ito had told me that I would meet the people I desire the most but I always thought it was only going to be my family. I stood up and when I saw Kris enter the living room, I ran. I ran towards her and kept on looking. I was crying profusely. I was so glad she was here. She looked at me and then hugged me tightly. I was so overwhelmed but right behind her was someone else.

"Marcus... Oh my god! Even you are here!" I literally jumped at him. He hugged me very tightly and kissed my cheek while I hugged back.

Soon everyone started laughing. Their familiar voices made me cry even more. My dad kissed my forehead and told me that there was a lot I needed to catch up on. Each one of them had lived a life where I no longer existed. Correction, I always existed but was no longer physically present. We all sat down in the living room and started talking. I was surrounded by mom and dad's usual bickering, Emma's annoying comments, Kris's taunts, Bruce Lee's barks, and Marcus's hand on mine. I was finally home and this time no one was going to take it away from me.

The End

Disclaimer: All characters are in this novella are fictitious. No offense is intended to any religion or country. This story is not promoting any sort of practices. It is written for the sole purpose of entertainment.

A message from the author: Congratulations on finishing this novella! You have no idea how much it means to an aspiring author like me. Please share your thoughts on this novella in the comments section and do recommend my work to your friends if you like it. Also, special thanks to Rohan Antani who helped me in all the medical related aspects of this story.