Chapter 2.

No way in Hell was I going to get tangled up in some dark magic business on my first day here, if I wanted to survive here, I was going to have to adapt.

Evading the dangerous objects on the ground and tripping on the numerous syringes that littered the ground, I scrambled through various alleyways trying to escape that creepy deer demon's inspection.

My breath became ragged as I struggled to maintain a steady breathing pace, feeling my legs nearly give way, I stopped by, what I thought to be, a shop. I placed the palms of my hand on my knees, attempting to catch my breath as I constantly whipped my head around in all directions to see if I could catch sight of that demon.

He didn't seem to be near so I let out a scarce sigh of relief, regaining my normal composure as I could fully absorb the gravity of my situation and my surroundings. The shop had nearly intact glass in the windows, apart from small cracks along the edges; it was relatively busy, demons of numerous different sizes and types walking through the aisles. The aisles were lined with some rather questionable products and the outside was lit up with a sign that read, 'Aalina's General Store'.

Huh, it seemed odd something so normal was placed in such a strange location, but I was glad I could find something even remotely ordinary. Opting to go into the shop to find some help, although I had little hope that is what I would find, I noticed that when I walked down the crowded street, demons turned to me, their expressions ones of pure astonishment and interest.

Some demon whistled from behind me, my head turning around with such speed as my expression turned into something so angry that it seemed foreign to me. The demon glared at me, but could not hold the contact for long before cowering behind a group of demons after examining my features.

I sighed, desperately wanting to find out what I looked like, as my fingers wrapped around the door knob, opening the door to the shop. Examining the numerous aisles for a mirror, I contemplated what I were to do with myself if I were to ever survive, I slightly chuckled to myself, I'll probably be dead by the next day.

Locating a slightly fragmented mirror, I examined myself in the reflective surface, I had a chipped, and slightly broken, halo floating above my head, along the edges it shone black, tinting the white material. My eyes seemed to be the same, but under closer inspection, I realised my pupils were cut in half. Staggering against some of the shelves after my recent discovery, my eyes ran along the seams of my clothes, I wore a plain black dress with a low cut neckline, two black belts, decorated with silver buckles adorned the side of my waist. A slither of transparent white fabric decorated the top of the dress along my upper chest, reaching to my neck.

It seemed surprisingly stylish for my situation as I took a little twirl in my new attire, despite my grim surroundings. I caught the eye of a particular patron, he seemed to be a sort of cat like demon; he had pointed brown ears with striped insides of white and pink, with white hearts. The demon also had a neat red bow tie on his neck and a mini top hat with a red band placed on the top of his head. White fur streaked along his chest and face, three brown buttons embedded in the fur of his chest, leading to his sharpened claws. Huge red wings hugged his body, decorated with patterns from the infamous card game, blackjack. What I failed to notice at first glance was the little hearts that moved when his extremely oversized red striped eyebrows stirred.

We both stared at each other with wide eyes, his especially wide, while attempting to think of what to do, some sort of sentence starter perhaps, I composed myself as I began with 'hi'.

The cat demon grumbled, murmuring something along the lines of 'hey', he seemed friendly enough, albeit a bit grumpy.

'Um, hey, do you know any safe places I could stay here?' I conversed with a hopeful smile.

He gripped yet another bottle of some sort of alcohol beverage from the shelf,

'Yeah, I know a place, I fucking 'work' there actually, some deer bastard forced me to do some bloody charity work for some princess..' he murmured complaints for a while as I tried to decipher his speech but wondered the thought of him meeting the same deer demon I did.

He gestured for me to follow him with a flick of his paw, I followed, its not like I had a better option, as he hastily snatched a small black hoodie from a clothes rack, I gave him a questionable look, no way was he expecting that to fit him?

The cat demon noticed the look I gave him, 'It's not for me, it's for you, it's painfully obvious you're one of those fucking fallen angels, not many demons like that'.

I was slightly taken aback by his kindness, 'thank y-'

'Don't mention it kid.' He blatantly interrupted, throwing a couple coins at the cashier before exiting the shop, opening the door for me as I wrestled the hoodie on top of my head, pulling my hood over to obscure my face.

'Thank-'

'Yeah, I said don't mention it'.

My slight smile turned into a frown,

'My name's Y/N'.

He gave me a look that signified, 'when did I fucking ask?' as he coughed briefly, forcing his true feelings down his throat.

'I'm Husk'.

'Nice to meet you, Husk!' I beamed.

'Ok thanks, but drop all that angelic bullshit, it's pissing me off'.

I smirked slightly, Husk didn't seem very annoyed but he averted his head in another direction, so I could not fully decide.

'So what's this safe place like, huh?'

'Oh, its a hotel, it's the princess of Hell's little project to rehabilitate demons to get them back into Heaven', he gestured with his hands wildly, feigning enthusiasm, 'If she were even to succeed I'll bet you'll be her first client she actually redeemed'.

I grinned warmly, even though there was no chance of being redeemed, I was only going to be let back up there if I completed their stupid agreement. But nethertheless, I smiled, I smiled till I simply couldn't smile anymore, Husk being forced to paint a smile on his lips purely because of my contagious smirk.

It felt nice, it felt like nothing could go wrong, but of course, everything already went wrong in my afterlife already.