Chapter 16.

Flexing my fingers to gain back the movement in my body, the anger boiled up in my stomach as I was driven by pure hatred. I banged my fist on the window, but nobody was there to let me in, everyone supposedly in another room.

I sighed frustratedly to myself, cursing the deer demon for causing me to go the front door and ring the doorbell myself. However, it was the first time I truly noticed how eerie the atmosphere was, there was normally a couple demons fighting and the like.

I abruptly stopped to comment on it for a second while I observed the skyline of the oddly shaped buildings, neon signs adorning all the establishments. Structures in an exact grid pattern along the smudged, polluted sky. No cars weaved in and out of the meandering alleyways and lights flickered dimly in the gloom.

A flash of lightning beat the ground, the sound electrifying everything within a small radius of it. The skyline began to fill with ominous silhouettes raining down on the world, each carried what seemed to be a spear. I watched as they descended onto the buildings, scouting for something. A figure in the distance that I was able to discern raised a spear and a shriek interrupted in its direction. A horrible shriek that echoed throughout the maze of streets, painfully heard in every demon's ears.

An extermination.

At that moment of realisation, I began frantically pounding on the door, attempting to make as much noise but keep a low profile as to not draw attention to myself. The familiar pitter patter of footsteps to the door never came.

No one came.

I kept my eye on a particular exterminator that was perched on a nearby building, its eyes searching the city for any movements to indicate a demon was lurking there. Until I heard the faint noise of wings flapping behind me.

Turning around swiftly, I realised the exterminator was flying towards me.
I could see it now, my funeral yet again, Husk towered over where I died, weeping uncontrollably. Or maybe he wouldn't.

Maybe he wouldn't care.

And that's what scared me the most.

That's what scared me as I screamed, my high pitched shriek reverberating across the city. I ducked down, attempting to hide behind some shrubbery that decorated a column, hoping to avoid its attention.

Through the gaps in the shrub, I could see a spear souring through the sky aiming for me. I closed my eyes, awaiting the inevitable pain.

But it never came.

A rush of heavy footsteps came from the entrance, a small splutter coming from in front of me. Slowly, I opened my eyes, my eyelashes fluttering in the vulnerable situation I was in. The spear was not plunged in me.

For I was not the one who took the hit.

Husk fell to the floor in front of me, his body was twitching unnaturally as a spear was inserted into his lower leg. I gasped, covering my mouth and tears started to form in the corners of my eyes.

The tears dripped down unchecked, the drops sliding down my cheeks and onto Husk as I hurriedly pulled him into my arms. I could hear the exterminator fiddle with another spear, when yet another wave of footsteps came from the entrance. I raised my head to see the exterminator splutter with the new arrivals, the demons that I knew as Angel, Vaggie, Charlie and Niffty attempting to fight the creature off using any means they could.

As much as they were trying to delay me being erased, the damage had already been done.

I encircled the wound with my finger, watching as the poison slowly ran up his veins, turning his blood a vivid pink, blue, purple and yellow. His once joyous eyes turned an ashen grey, his pupils turning into black slits that erased all humanity that he had left.

A raw cry erupted from my throat, a cry filled with such emotion that I had to lurch forward to keep myself from curling into a ball of utter defeat. My unoccupied hand caressed Husk's cheek, his whiskers tickling my hand as I was reminded of the memories we shared together.

He shakily placed his hand on top of mine, entwining his fingers with mine while giving me a weak smile.

'You were worth it, Y/N.'