Chapter 15.

From the multiple shelves in the library, I picked a few books on demon nature and the like to help me pinpoint his character. I reasoned with myself, I could perhaps deduct his next move if I knew more. If I wanted to pull this off, I need to get familiar.

I sighed, placing the books down on my bed and wrapping a blanket over me, I had a cup of F/D next to me as I occasionally took small sips to accompany the clauses I read.

The more I read, the more I realised that most things were connected to the term Husk used earlier: erased. I discovered, every year there was an extermination, where Angels came from above to erase demons due to an overpopulation problem.

Alastor cannot kill me. I cannot kill Alastor.

He threatened to kill Husk. He couldn't do it. He was lying.

And I hate liars.

Gripping the book pages with my nails, digging them into the material, I read on, each set of words igniting a further ambition to destroy Alastor from this world. I reached for my cup of F/D, I looked at my outstretched arm, realising it was shaking with such intensity I couldn't keep my cup straight.

I should take a break. These books are destroying me before I could destroy Alastor. Chuckling slightly, I set my current book down and dropped the blanket from around my figure, exiting my room and ensuring to lock it behind me.

Roaming the hallways, some demons bustled past me, each with variations of urgency as they all headed to the lobby. I wondered what was going on that warranted such worry from certain individuals. But I was hungry, so that thought was brushed aside for now.

As I entered the kitchen, Husk was already there, seemingly fixing a lunch for himself. Seeing him struggle grasping the bread and fetching items from the fridge concerned me.

'Hey Husk, do you want me to get you lunch?' I offered, standing next to him.

'Yeah, thanks Y/N.' He responded in a calm tone, it sounds as if he was sober, which made a nice change.

'I see you're taking a break from the booze,' I attempted to make idle chatter as I whisked around the kitchen, gathering the ingredients necessary to make Husk a sandwich.

He made an agreeing noise in return, 'I'm trying to give up my addiction so I'm not unconscious fifty percent of the time.'

I was slightly taken aback by his answer, but chuckled at his light joke, 'that's good. But don't do it for me, do it for you.'

Husk offered a small smile, 'if I did it for you, it would give me more motivation that if I did it for me.'

'That's so-'

However, my sentence was interrupted by a high pitched scream from outside that threw me off guard.

'Maybe there's been an incident or something,' Husk theorised as he collected the newly made sandwich and thanked me profusely.

I answered simply, preparing a sandwich for myself and my growing hunger. From the food in the larder and fridge, I made myself a classic cheese and ham sandwich.

I exited the room, balancing the tray of food while opening the door and ventured to the lobby to enjoy my lunch. I grew situated on the windowsill, placing a pillow behind me so the edges of the window didn't injure me.

Looking outside, the place seemed deserted, not a single demon roaming the streets. It was desolate, only the small scatter of debris making noise at it rolled about the ground. All of a sudden, the multiple televisions outside flicked on, each displaying the same video of a chipper blonde woman and a gas mask demon. I assumed it was the news, but they seemed to be not too alarmed as the blonde woman's mouth moved up and down in exaggerated movements, their speech wasn't very clear, the window and the distance muffling their dialogue.

Shrugging, I continued eating my sandwich, my ears perked up when I heard loud rumbling from another room, the unmistakable pitter patter of footsteps rushing to their destination. Again I heard the indistinct speech from the television, but I couldn't quite make out the words.

Raising my hands up to my sandwich to finish the last of it, I realised that tension slowly grew in the room, despite me being the only person here. An inky shadow loomed over me, silently threatening me as I pressed my body against the window.

The shadow grew closer, I tried to limit the proximity between me and it but it paralysed me, restricting my ability to move and my ability to talk.

I couldn't scream.

It reached towards me, one of its sable claws curling around my shoulder, I could feel blood drip from the pressure as it pressed its nails into my skin, slowly dragging it down my upper arm. I attempted to move, to make some miracle escape, but I couldn't.

In that moment I felt so completely helpless. All I could do was watch.

Its other hand grasped the window's clasp, undoing the latch so the window was completely open. The shadow retracted its grip on the window, both hands now on my shoulder as it pushed me.

I fell backwards, tumbling onto the abundance of flora below the windowsill in the front lawn of the hotel. I wasn't harmed apart from the matching cuts on my shoulders, as I looked up to see the figure lock the latch of the window so it couldn't be opened again.

Before it disappeared, it flashed me a smile, a smile showing off its jagged teeth that were stained with blood, the curls of its mouth stretching to its cheeks. There was no mistaking it.

Alastor.