CHAPTER 6

CHAPTER SIX

Nma woke up; she stared at the brightness outside, she felt so restful and at peace. It's been a long time she had this kind blissful and dreamless sleep. She stretched and was startled as she bumped into something. She picked her phone and wondered what it was doing on the bed. Then immediately the recollection of what happened last night started rushing back into her mind. Uche had called her last night to talk her to sleep she recalled, and such wonderful things he had said to her, she smiled dreamily, sitting up and hugging her knee. He was the kind of man every girl would love to fall in love with. Rich, tall, dark and handsome, he also knew how to woo his women. Nma laughed at her own stupid thoughts, and then she glanced at her watch and was surprised to see it had gone past twelve. Suddenly she stopped as she realized what she had been doing. She was immediately calling herself all sorts of fool.

How could she be having romantic thoughts about a man who acted like he was a cave man? Uche Okoha was not her match. The man thought all women were his for the taking. He had forced kisses from her. He had ignored her when he wished and sorted for her full attention when it suited him. Surely that kind of a man could only represent trouble. She looked at the picture of Amber the owner of foot and body talk, would she turn tails at the advances of a man like Uche, she wondered. No she thought, Amber was known to date the finest world class men so Uche would be a piece of cake for her.

There was no need wasting precious time on him, she thought, she wasn't going to see him ever again. The man was trouble simple and short.

She glanced at her wall clock, exclaimed and jumped out of her bed for a quick shower, after her shower she wore a black jean short and floral blouse, left her face bare of makeup and started towards her studio. She stopped first in her kitchen and made herself a cold cereal. She looked around her kitchen and at the empty pots and cupboards. "I need to go shopping" she muttered, and she also needed to cook. After feeding herself she went into her studio to do what she knew how to do best.

Uche hated Saturdays, they were his worst days. He usually went into the office after spending about one hour in his gym, this daily routine kept him fit, feeling lazy and looking for an excuse not to work out, he remembered Star and her mission. He began to worry about the stirrings in the Niger Delta and what it could do to his business. He hoped the government would do something soon but it seemed as if everyone was waiting for the worst to happen. Things were different now, because the youths were now beginning to attack indigenous companies like his. He was going to speak to those at the hem of things, starting with the president. Though he hated that he was going to do it but he was not going to lose a penny over there their negligence. He picked up his phone and punched the number of one his assistants. He didn't really need an appointment to see the president, didn't meddle with politics but as a business man, it was good business move to ensure that favorable policies were put in place. Just as he was finishing the call, a slight sound at his door got him looking up and his house keeper's very shy daughter came, bearing his freshly squeezed orange juice. He told her to place on the table. And concentrated on his phone, he watched as the girl left the room. He knew what was wrong with the girl; she was suffering a mighty crush on him. This wasn't new to him; his last gate man daughter sneaked into his bed once, the saving grace was that he was not sleeping at all when she sneaked in. He had fired the man the next day. A man on the public eye cannot be too careful. He wondered why the cook always sent her daughter to his room first thing in the morning. He made a mental note to speak to her about it. Was she so blind that she couldn't see the predicament her daughter was facing? That made him remember his mother, his mother would never have sent his sister on this kind of errand. Mothers these days were too careless. He smiled ruefully as a thought occurred to him. Could the silly house keeper be stupid enough to think that he might fancy her daughter? He shook his head and walked over to the table to take sip of the juice. Did she think he was such an ogre that he would fancy a teenager? She knew the kind of women he preferred. He preferred matured and classy women who knew what they wanted and who could take care of themselves, a woman like Nma, a woman who understood the game men and women play. With his will power he blocked her out his mind and pulled a T-shirt on and left the room. Today he was not going to think about her.