CHAPTER 18

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Her heart stopped beating and she couldn't find her voice, she could only stare at him as her heart began beating again but erratically.

"Actually I have known before today. I thought it was so obvious that was why I was angry when you came to rescue me from Angela. How could I abandon the woman I love for one I dreaded from childhood?"

What was he doing he asked himself, he was babbling. Uche Okoha was babbling to a woman. He never blabbed. What had she done to him, how could he become so vulnerable to her. He felt his anger rise and did nothing to stop it. She wasn't saying anything, he had just told her he loved her and she was silent.

"After all we've shared together, you should have trusted me enough to be sure that whatever the conversation was I would keep it neutral, or did you think I was asking her for a date?"

Nma was still trying to come to terms that the man of her dreams loved her, how was it possible that of all the women in the world, he loved her. She turned to him with stars in her eyes only to meet his angry ones and she was startled for a moment.

"Coming to drag me away from her showed insecurity on your part and you should have trusted me to come and get you once it was time for dinner"

Then understanding dawned on her. And she smiled at him. She saw it, the fear that comes with love, the fear of rejection and heart break.

"Angela is the least important person here right now. Right now all that matters is you and I and that we love each other.

"I love you"

It was his turn to be shocked even though he knew all along that she loved him. She had made no secret about that.

"I want you to know there is nothing and there isn't going to be anything between I and Angela. It is you I want and love!" he said firmly.

"Do you believe me?" he asked firmly

She kissed him for a reply and he held on to her for dear life. When he let her go, she touched his face

"What took you so long?"

"You might not believe it but I was afraid"

"Afraid of what?"

"I have been here before" he said

"She was everything I thought I wanted, she was beautiful and raised to make a man like me the perfect wife and hostess, maybe that was why I wanted her so much but in the end she eloped with one of my closest business associates"

Nma pretended that she had not heard the story before and touched him

"Meeting you, I finally realized that I never really loved her but I thought if a betrayal of a woman I didn't love could hurt me so bad what would happen if it came from you, a woman I love with all my heart"

When he said he loved her, her heart still flipped, it still felt like a dream to hear him say it.

"With me you have nothing to fear because you are my home and no matter where I ever I run to, I will always come home to you"

He held her with one hand drove with the other.

"You are home" he said when he pulled to a stop in front of her house.

For the first time since she met him she wanted really wanted to make love with him but only her love and fear for God held her back. She didn't want the night to end, but then she took comfort in the fact that by same time next month nothing would keep them apart any more.