CHAPTER 31

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

For a moment she was afraid to believe it thinking it was something her dying mind had conjured up to lessen the pain.

"Who could that be?" Nma heard the house keeper asking.

She opened her eyes, when she saw their confused and terrified glances towards the door, she believed it. Someone was actually at the door. The Lord had sent someone. She didn't care who it was as long as the two witches were be stopped. But her relief and hope were short lived.

"Uche has a key he wouldn't knock." The house keeper announced.

"I will peep" her daughter volunteered

"Its over, whoever it is would immediately know that something is wrong. Give it up now before it is too late" Nma told her

"It would be too late if you are allowed to live another day" the woman answered

"Be wise, what can you possibly achieve if you end up in prison, give it up and live to complete your mission another day"

"Shut up" the woman pointed the gun at her.

Her daughter came back at that moment.

"Well" she asked her daughter anxiously

"I believe it is her mother, the woman looks exactly like her.

Nma stopped herself from crying out loud. She was not going to let Amber be part of this; if she was going to die then she would do it alone.

"I don't have a mother" she said quickly, too quickly

"Perhaps a sister" the woman rejoined. "It doesn't matter who she is but she is getting in the way of the plan, we should eliminate her too.

"No" Nma said "If no one opens the door for her, she would think no one is at home, she would leave"

The woman considered Nma suggestion for a moment, then she gave her that her evil smile. "This woman whoever she is, she is important to you" she nodded at her daughter.

"Very well I will give you a chance to save her" she turned to her daughter. "Cut off her ropes and lead her to the door" the daughter was evidently reluctant "Do it! If she can get the woman to leave, she would save her but if not, the woman will join the party"

"This is a waste of time" the girl complained "we have the one we want, let the other woman knock to her heart fill and leave"

"What is the use if you cannot enjoy watching the victim suffer, do it now" she said forcefully at the girl. The girl cut Nma's ropes and led her to the door. Nma opened the door with shaky hands

"What do you want?" she said to the woman who gave her life, the woman who might never know that her only daughter forgave her but that right then didn't matter, what mattered was passing a message somehow to her to go and get help. She only hoped that Amber was smart enough to get it.

Amber took in her shabby appearance and knew at once that something was wrong.

"Are you alright?" she asked

"What do you care, please leave" she said deliberately showing her hands where it was bruised by the ropes.

Amber saw it immediately and gasped. What was happening, she didn't know what to think? Could she be fighting with Uche? Uche would never hurt a woman, she thought. Then it dawned on her that her daughter was trying to pass her message. She had to get help.

"I will but sweet heart I am your mother, so I will keep coming till I am sure you have forgiven me" she turned to leave, Nma breathed a sigh of relief but shouted when the house keeper pushed her out of the way and pointed the gun directly at Amber's back.