CHAPTER 24

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

As she drove home she couldn't understand her feelings. She didn't know if it was triumph or dismay. Agreeing to become Uche's wife was stupid. He made it obvious he was getting married to her just to punish her for dumping him. She didn't know he was that twisted. She wasn't aware she was crying till her vision blurred with the warm liquid thinking about what she had lost and wasn't going to get it back anymore, not when he looked at her with so much coldness in his eyes. It was not fair the way he was taking everything. She was the victim and should be the one with all the coldness.

Nma got home from work quite early, earlier than usual and she also went for grocery shopping. She wanted to make a good dinner for herself and not because Uche was coming over she told herself again and again. She tried to convince herself she needed a break after the trauma of the day before.

She wanted to make rice, beans, stew, with fried plantain and salad just the way Uche loved it, but she caught herself,

"I'm not cooking to impress Uche" she said to herself firmly. As she washed the beans she could hear her heart calling her all kinds of names for refusing to admit that she was cooking for Uche after all she didn't eat beans and she had not touched fried plantains since her early teens but Uche would never touch rice and stew without beans or fried plantains. Alright she agreed she was cooking for Uche but not because she still cared for him, she was cooking to show him some appreciation for helping her out. Felix and Tessy didn't need to worry any longer about the coming baby or about her. Felix wasn't all too happy when she broke the news happily to him that she and Uche were back together. He suspected that something was wrong, she had seen him practically sniffing the air for trouble and then his next question surprised her.

"Is he forcing you?" thank God she was anticipating the question so acted shocked and offended and he believed her

"Maybe I should go into acting next" she joked and laughed at her own joke. She glanced at her watch, six thirty, Uche would be here any minute, and she began to hurry. When the stew was cooking she decided to dash into the bathroom for a quick shower and a new dress, she didn't want to face Uche as she was looking, sweaty and tired. She felt she needed all her wits about her if she was going to face him squarely. She didn't want to admit to herself that she wanted to look fresh and beautiful for him. It'd been so long since she had taken time to look beautiful not since they broke up.

"It is not true" she snapped at herself "I'm not dressing up for Uche; I just want to be on the same level with him" she concluded, rushing into her bedroom.

She wore a forest green chiffon flowing skirt on a sea green body suit. She added just lip gloss to her lips and brushed out her hair, then slipped her feet into green flat slippers and rushed out to the kitchen.

When she got to the kitchen, she hurriedly switched off the cooker and began to dish the food. Each one she dished, she carried it to the living room where there was a small dining area. When she was done, she glanced at her watch and it was half past seven, he might not come after all, she sighed with disappointment. She looked at the dining table and the dishes she had taken time to prepare and she felt like crying. All these trouble taken in vain, she sighed. She wanted to throw the whole dishes away and she couldn't stop calling herself a thousand different kinds fool for wasting time trying to impress a man who couldn't care less about her.

Just then the door bell rang and her heart skipped a beat, she straightened her dress and ran her fingers through her hair. The door bell rang again, she was confused. She very much wanted a look in the mirror to be sure that she looked good enough but the door bell rang again and she shook her head in defeat and hurried to open the door and decided she was going to fix a mirror in living room somewhere. She opened the door only to find Mike smiling down at her. Her face fell and she couldn't stop her disappointment from showing.