Episode 19

Saturday, 4:05 PM Joe had just left the interrogation room, hoping to turn his badge in, as agreed, since he was unable to prove David was guilty

Saturday, 4:05 PM
Joe had just left the interrogation room, hoping to turn his badge in, as agreed, since he was unable to prove David was guilty. On his way to the captain’s office, he met Nate just at the edge of the staircase. His hand was behind his back and he was in cuffs. Nate was led by two officers, whom he presumed to be part of the Special Investigation Team. He became lost for words at the sight. He never thought this would happen. He stopped one of the officers to request what happened and he was told Nate was being arrested for abduction and abuse of human rights.
It made no sense to him because he had believe the captain to secretly adopt David but now, they are saying he abducted him, wiped his memory and use him to eliminate a criminal organization, of which he was a part of. ‘That’s ridiculous.' He looked around for someone with power and influence, that would at least give a reasonable explanation of what was happening. His mind went to Marie but she wasn’t at her desk, when he looked. From where he stood, the conference room was clearly visible and it had a lot of people in there. He decided if there’s somewhere he should be right now, it should be there. So, he went up the stairs and into the conference room.
On entering, he saw that the same people which he had earlier had a briefing with, were still seated, except that the Captain’s seat was now empty. More so, new faces were present in the room but only one caught his attention. ‘Officer Greg.’ Greg was talking to a man, probably an officer from another precinct because he had never seen the face before. The man was fair skinned and had gold colored hair. He was tall and slim. He wasn’t wearing a police uniform but Joe could tell he was a detective from his stance. Probably, he was one of the SIT. He wondered why a detective of such honor would speak to a patrol officer. Only one thought came to mind but he had no time to decide if it’s possible or not.
“Detective Joe Pratt, please turn in your badge and your gun.” Marie was the one who spoke.
Joe would have thought it was because of the deal he made with the captain but then Greg’s presence interpreted something else and his fears were made real by Marie’s next statement.
“You are under arrest for the murder of Richard Baines, aiding and abetting the murder of professor Johnson, battering a witness to confess, breaking the law – ”
Joe cared less about the crimes being listed against him. He already knew someone was behind this. To think it was Greg just sound ridiculous. ‘He shouldn’t have trusted him.’ He slowly dropped his badge and gun on the center table and raised his hands high in the air.
“ – Note that anything you say would be used against you during trial. You – ”
“He knows the rules Marie. Just spare him that part,” the fair skinned man said.
“Protocol, Pete.”
That's his name, Joe thought. ‘Peter. Suddenly, he recollects the face. It was the same man that had escorted Marie down to the precinct on her first day. He had thought he was her husband but then there was no ring on her fingers and their surname didn’t match. 'Oh! Yeah, Peter Brad.’
“Drop all personal belongings in this bag.” Joe heard an officer say behind him. He removed his phone, wallet, wristwatch, wedding ring and dropped them all in a seal bag given to him.
“Please sir, put your hands behind your back.”
“Is that even necessary. I’m not going to run.”
“Joe, the charges against you aren’t minimal,” Marie said. “You know the rules. Don't make this difficult, please.”
“He thinks everyone would break the law like he does,” Pete added.
Joe hated his guts but still had to obey. He allowed himself to be cuffed and while they took him to the interrogation room, all he thought about was his daughter, Naomi. He knew she would be arrested soon as an accomplice and so he needed to act before that happens.
“Can I speak to my lawyer?” he asked the officer that led him to the interrogation room.
“A detective would be with you shortly sir.”
“Can I at least, speak to my daughter?”
The officer didn’t respond but shut the door behind him as he left Joe in the interrogation room.
Few minutes later, the door opened again and Marie strolled in.
“Are you here to finish the job?” Joe said, with demeanor.
“I’m on your side, Joe.”
“On my side? You got me arrested – ”
“Greg’s testimony did. You shouldn’t have trusted him with your secret.”
“And you think I can trust you?”
“I’m the only one left to trust if you don’t want to go down with this.”
“I’ll take my chances, all-mighty Emkay.”
Marie sighed. “I know it would always come down to this but I just had to let you play by your rules. Now, it's time you play by mine.”
“What do you mean?”
“C’mon I don’t blame you for murdering your wife’s killer in cold blood. And I don't believe for a second that David is guilty of the officers' death. Also, I know you didn’t report the anonymous call because you believed shadow is dead. That doesn’t make you an accomplice to the professor's death. It made you a man of instinct and if I’m going to get to the bottom of this, I need smart mind like yours.”
“I’m sorry I can’t help you.” Joe's hand dropped. He never imagined Marie would believe him. Probably, she had been tailing him since she arrived Greenville, else why would she act like she knows him so well. He just can't see how he can help solve this case, now that he's a suspect himself. Except…
“Not if I break you out.” Marie interrupted his thought.
He looked at her and for a second, he thought she was joking but the serious look on her face said otherwise. He watched her unlock his cuffs and still doubted her intention. He looked at the two security cameras in the room and realized they weren’t blinking their usual red lights which means they were turned off. This gave him some assurance that it wasn't some kind of prank.
She said some words so fast which he never really paid attention too but all the same nodded his head. At least he heard the part where she mentioned her car and her apartment. That formed a sentence already.
“What about my daughter and Dave?” Joe asked. “That boy is innocent and my – ”
“I’ll get them out. Just wait by the car. It’s at the back – ”
“I know where you parked your car,” Joe interrupted. “Not like I’m tailing you or something but – ”
“It’s okay. I’ll get the keys to you through your daughter. I don’t have them here. You need to go now before someone realizes you are gone.”
Joe ran to the door but stopped. He looked at her and didn’t think he would just miss this chance with her. She was soft at heart and this moment was the best time to make known his feelings. He couldn’t believe such thoughts would come to his mind at this time but he waved it off and ran back to hug her. To his surprise, she didn’t resist. “Thank you,” he muttered.
“Please, if you don’t see them in thirty minutes, find your way to my apartment and try to remain under the radar. You are an important piece to solving this case.”
“Alright,” Joe said and released her. He pecked her as tears formed around his eyes but he did well in stopping them. He wouldn’t want a lady see him cry.
“Now, go before I change my mind,” she said.
He ran out the room and all the way out of the building with only one motive, “Escape”.