Why Theatre People Are Generally Better At Life

You're Friends With Literally Everybody
The theatre was everyone's home-not just theatre kids, but outcasts and misfits and stragglers from every clique in the school (or outside of school). I would argue that theatre classes were among the most diverse populations in terms of "social status." As a person, you're not intimidated by anyone or dismissive of anyone, either. Less awkward sizing up of people and more FRIENDSHIP.

You Have No Filter
And you're Not sorry.

In Fact, You Pretty Much Have No Shame
The concept of "shame" is something you have to get over pretty fast in the theatre world.

When You Actually Do Wear Make Up, You Bring Your A-Game
I'm not that into wearing make-up because I'm lazy, but when I do, it's perfection. At any party, you can always tell who the ex-theatre kids are because their faces are basically flawless. We had that weird cat eyeliner thing mastered basically as soon as we were out of diapers.

You Have Fabulous Endurance (Especially In Heels)
Honestly, we had so many crazy dance calls. And while it did nothing to improve my coordination, I now have the lung capacity of an elephant and ankles of steel.

You're Super Talented
Everyone gets frazzled now and then, but you can pick up the pieces way faster than your fellow non-theatre friends. You spent years ready to ad lib at any moment. As an adult, you soon realize that the theater is way more unpredictable than the real world. If someone doesn't drop a line or a set piece doesn't fall and almost crush you in the middle of a scene, then the show already went better than expected.

You Handle Rejection Like A Total Pro
I've been told "no" more times than I can count, even in the last few weeks. I've literally had directors line me up with other girls against a wall, look me up and down, and tell me to go home. There is no kind of rejection that phases me anymore, and it makes me a lot more gutsy about taking chances, especially the impossible seeming ones.

As an Adult You Basically Only Learned To Drive To Have A Place To Belt And Practice Monologues
I would like to take this moment to apologize to anyone who has ever stopped next to me at a red light. I'm not insane (well...).

You Are Always Open-Minded And Accepting
The theatre crowd is one of the most welcoming groups I've ever been a part of. No matter who you were, or how you identified or defined yourself, there was a place for you there.

You Bring The Party
Nobody lets loose like ex-theatre kids do. 50% less shame = 600% more fun. This stays true no matter how old you get. In fact, it might become even more true as you get older.

You Aren't Afraid To Take Risks
Seriously, though, gearing ourselves up for auditions all the time gives theater kids iron nerves. We are not easily intimidated.

Some Days You Still Find Mic Tape Residue On Your Body
It'll still be there when you die.

You're A Lot More In Tune With Your Emotions
Evaluating all of the motivations and emotions of the different parts you've played over the years means you recognize it a lot more easily in yourself. If I'm unhappy about something in my life, I never have to struggle to figure out what it is.

You're Frighteningly Determined
Theatre is a world of opportunity, only for people who make opportunities for themselves. You have to bring 100% of yourself to every audition and rehearsal and you have to bounce back from being told "no" 11 times out of 12, and there is nobody you can depend on for that but yourself.

The Friends You Make Are Lifelong Ones
You're still friends with many from your theater kid group, no matter how much time has passed or how your priorities have changed. I notice that theater kids grow up to cultivate those kinds of friendships even outside of the theater world. We make friends often and intensely, and I'd like to think humanity is better off for it.