Chapter Five

Blaire Stone stood in the Gagarin, her gun by her side as Shaw tried to break back into the Eligius IV system, proving that they were now locked out from remotely accessing the pods. 283 of their lives were now threatened. 

Shaw shared a grim look with Blaire before announcing their discovery over the radio. "Colonel, it's me. He's telling the truth, somehow they blocked the remote access to the cryo-room and the pods. We can't wake anyone up."

"Well, this is a party, isn't it?" Blaire joked. "Can you get back in?"

"I don't think so," Shaw replied grimly. "And here's Diyoza and McCreary."

"Bring up the radio," Diyoza ordered. 

"What's happening? Are we letting Clarke go?"

"We'll help them get their people out of the bunker so we can get our people back."

"Yeah, every hour on the hour." A female's voice echoed through the computer. Raven was her name and she was the one who had locked them out of their own system. 

"Tell me what you're doing because it sure as hell feels like we're negotiating with terrorists." McCreary drawled. 

"Shoe's on the other foot?" Shaw added. 

"I want to be airborne in 90 seconds," Diyoza ordered. 

"T-minus 90 seconds and counting," Shaw announced. 

"I'd hate to admit it but the girl scout is not wrong. You, of all people, should know better." McCreary continued. "I say we take them out and fly back to Eligius and gather our people."

"How long would it take this Raven to kill everyone in cryo?" Diyoza asked turning to Blaire and Shaw. 

"Around three minutes," Blaire replied looking to Shaw for confirmation. 

"Yeah, as long as she's removed the failsafes then we are looking at 3 minutes."

"Everyone strap in," Diyoza announced, everyone immediately moving to an empty seat. "Do you trust me, or not?" Diyoza questioned, pointing towards McCreary's chest. 

"I don't trust anyone."

"There's a doctor in that bunker." Diyoza continued in a hushed tone that Blaire's ears still picked up. "Clarke's mother, it turns out. We grab the doctor, kill the hostage-taker and his girlfriend. We go home and find a cure. Will you trust me now?"

Blaire exchanged a look with Shaw who had also seemed to have heard the entire exchange but the whirring of the engines, a ship ready for liftoff interrupted her thoughts. 

"Ready for liftoff."

"Three, two, one." 

The Gagarin shook as they took off, Blaire's seat vibrating but it soon settled as they climbed higher into the sky, before landing a good few minutes later in what looked like a battlefield. The remains of a building that had once stood tall were crumbled to the ground, laying in pieces. 

Blaire watched as Diyoza and McCreary along with several other prisoners headed off to complete the extraction of the bunker while she stayed with Shaw, her limited experience with tech do little to help.

"Looks like you are stuck with me. . again." Blaire broke the silence with only the rapid tapping of the keys under Shaw's fingers as a response. "Oh come on, that was a good one!"

"I never said it wasn't," Shaw responded. 

"Yeah but the whole no response thing really suggested otherwise."