(Bucky Barnes) Rosy Proposal

Published: August 4, 2020
Word count: 1504
Prompt: "One rose for every day I should have been with you."
Written for another tumblr writing challenge (seriously why do I always sign up for so many), @kitkatd7's challenge!

You stood in the kitchen, humming to yourself as you skillfully flipped your pancakes. Off days were just the best, you had so much time to yourself and you could do anything you wanted.

The bowl of batter was soon empty and as you removed the pan from the stove, you caught sight of the calendar pinned to the fridge with a colorful Eiffel Tower magnet and you froze. August already?

You were snapped out of your trance by Nat strutting in, her posture similar to that of a Victorian-day queen as always.

"Hey girl, what's up?" She greeted you, pouring herself a glass of water.

"Nothing much. The usual."

She hummed in acknowledgement, pausing as if she were pondering her next words.

"You know, (Y/N), we should have a girl's day. You, me and Wanda."

You drizzled maple syrup over your pancakes, considering your options. You could go with Nate's idea, which would most likely result in you spilling any juicy details you hadn't previously mentioned regarding your love life, or you could take a day for yourself, which would probably end with you wallowing in how much you missed your boyfriend.

"Yeah, let's do it!"

                                                                               ♾

A couple hours later, the three of you were lounging on Wanda's bed, each delicately balancing a bottle of nail polish between the fingers you were currently doing. You had selected the bright pink. It reminded you of when you were a teenager, as you always walked around with pink nails.

"So, (Y/N), any plans for when Bucky comes back from his mission?"

You sighed, screwing the cap back on your bottle and examining your work.

"Not really. I mean, it's been six months since he left on a six week mission. I just want Bucky back, you know."

"I get what you mean." Wanda placed a comforting hand on your shoulder. "But still, wouldn't it be nice to plan a lovely date for the two of you? For after he rests up, of course."

"Maybe," you mused, leaning back against the fluffy pillows. "Actually, that sounds like a good idea. And I may have a better one."

Nat raised a questioning eyebrow and you continued.

"Bucky's been on a mission for six months; I think he deserves a vacation. And I can definitely get time off as well. So... what if we went on a road trip?"

Wanda clapped her hands in excitement. "Oh, that's a wonderful idea! I overheard Bucky telling Steve once how he wanted to go on a road trip across the country. Maybe you could do that."

"Yeah! I love road trips." You sat up. "In fact, I think I'll start planning already."

You moved to leave but Wanda grabbed your wrist.

"Noo, don't go!"

"But I need my laptop, Wanda, I'll be right back."

"Use mine."

You shrugged, but sat down again as Wanda handed you her laptop. Nat had pulled out her phone and was busily texting, the clicking of her nails against the screen filling the room.