(Bucky Barnes) Girlfriends and Leaf Piles

Word count: 953

Bucky ambled down the street to your home, Royal, your golden retriever, bounding ahead of him. He breathed in deeply, relishing the smell of autumn and the crisp, fresh air.

Royal trotted up the driveway, toying with the red and orange leaves sprinkled all over the ground. They crunched under Bucky's feet and Royal's paws, while more drifted slowly down from the trees.

Upon unlocking the front door, Bucky tossed his keys onto the cupboard.

"Doll, I'm home!" he called. When you didn't reply, panic surged through him. It was unlikely, but what if something had happened to you? You always announced your location whenever he came home, knowing it helped appease his worried mind.

He threw open the doors to all the rooms, searching them one by one. Empty. All of them, empty. If something happened to you, he knew he'd never be able to forgive himself.

The fear was beginning to consume him when he heard laughter. Your laughter, mixed with barking. He nearly flew to the window, pressing his face up against the glass in order to see better.

You stood in the garden, safe and sound, a rake in your hand and Royal prancing around you in circles. The zippers on your brown leather jacket clinked together as you bent down to pet the dog, and Bucky let out the breath he didn't even know he was holding in.

Bucky made his way downstairs, stopping in the doorway that connected the kitchen to the garden. God, you were so beautiful. He couldn't stop the smile spreading across his face as he watched you and Royal.

If someone would have told him three years ago that he'd be in a happy relationship with you, he'd probably have laughed in their face. Yet here you were, happy as could be with him, and he thanked whatever deity was listening every day for having you in his life.

"Buckyy," you whined when you noticed him, "how long have you been standing there?"

"Just a few moments, doll." He sauntered over to you, hands immediately coming to rest on your waist as he leaned in for a sweet kiss.

You reciprocated, arms wrapping around his neck as you pulled him closer. You loved him more than you could express, and you were reminded of that every time you were in his presence, not to mention whenever he kissed you.

You pulled away and immediately saw the worry on his face. It disappeared instantly, however, as soon as he saw the wide grin you sported.

"Come on baby, work first, kissing later!" And with that, you thrust a shovel into his arms.

He chuckled, rolling his eyes, but you both knew he didn't mind the work. After all, it would give him more time to admire you or to just bask in your presence.

He began digging a hole big enough for the apple tree you were planning to plant. Well, if you could even call that little sapling a tree at this point. Royal leapt over to help him, paws rapidly scraping at the soil.

As the hole got bigger, he started glancing over at you every now and then. You were busy raking up all the leaves that had fallen onto the lawn, and he guessed you were probably also regretting planting so many trees.

"You know," you spoke absently, "my family called just now. My mom asked about you again."

"Oh yeah? What did she want to know? How long before we give her grandkids?"

He only chuckled when you shot him the most menacing glare you could muster, which turned into a full blown laugh when you nearly tripped over your rake simply because you were flustered.

"Shut up, Barnes. No, she wanted to know if we'd be coming for dinner this Friday. I think she misses you."

"That's fine by me, I'm free. And when did I become Barnes?"

You didn't have to look at him to know how widely he was grinning. He just loved teasing you like that.

"You're Barnes whenever you become a cocky flirt," you quipped back. "And I already told her we'd be there."

"Maybe I shouldn't be the only Barnes here," he mused.

You froze in your place. Did that mean what you thought it meant? You slowly turned to face him.

"What? You want to invite your niece over?" You didn't intend to joke about it, but you couldn't resist after seeing that insufferable cocky smirk.

"Doll, that's not what I meant and you know that," he huffed. "God, I want to marry you."

He... oh god was this real?

"What do you say, sweetheart?" he hummed, calmly strolling over to you.

Oh good heavens was this his proposal?

"I'm still going to propose properly, doll. After all, I'm old-fashioned. I'm just wondering if we're both on the same page here..." he trailed off, that same grin never once leaving his face.

It seemed your brain finally decided to come back from vacation, and you finally found yourself able to think straight again.

"I'll say yes... under one condition."

You did your best to keep your poker face on, but his confused expression was making this incredibly hard.

"Three words, eight letters- say it and I'm yours, baby."

And with that you turned around, humming to yourself as you reached for the rake you left leaning against the wall of your house. Before you could take hold of it, though, he grabbed your wrist and spun you around, backing you up against the wall and effectively pinning you there.

"I love you," he breathed. "I love you."

"I love you too," you whispered, right before he pressed his lips to yours.