(Bucky Barnes) For You

Published: August 11, 2020

Word count: 1055

Prompts: "Wait- you did what to who?"
                    "You shouldn't have done that." "I'd do anything for you."

I combined the prompts for two tumblr writing challenges, @versdan's and @blissfvll's!

"(Y/N), come help me with dinner!"

You groaned, tossing the dress you were going to try on onto your bed and matching down the stairs to the kitchen.

"Ma," you whined, "I have a date, remember?"

Your mother was bustling around the kitchen, multiple pots bubbling on the stove. You grudgingly picked up a knife and started chopping up the remaining vegetables.

"Oh, I know, honey. You're going out with that Barnes boy, right?"

She spun around to look at you and you nodded in confirmation.

"Does he treat you well?"

"Extremely. Ma, he's the sweetest boy you'd ever meet." A lovesick smile crossed your face as thoughts of your handsome wooer filled your mind.

"Well, in that case, I think your father and I would like to meet him. Why don't you invite him over for dinner sometime?"

"Sure." You tossed the chopped vegetables into the soup, wiping your hands on your apron. "Anything else you want me to do?"

"No, no." Your mother waved a flippant hand in your direction. "Go get ready for your date. And be home by 10!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You stood in front of the mirror, fiddling with your hairpin. You weren't exactly nervous, you just had butterflies doing stunts in your stomach.

The clock struck six thirty, and you jumped at the loud clanging. Six thirty. He was late, and Bucky was never late.

You tentatively opened the door, stepping out into the cool evening air. There was no sign of him on any side of the street. Letting out a shaky breath, you leaned against the doorframe, perfectly prepared to wait for him, however long it might take.

Okay, maybe not that long. It had been half an hour, and he had yet to show up. Huffing, you pushed yourself off of the doorframe with your heel, scanning the street one more time.

Houses, trees, cars, silhouette, nope, guess you could go back in- wait, silhouette?

You whipped back around, squinting in the dimming light in an attempt to discern any identifying features. It was a tall man, limping, and... well, that's all you could see. You considered going up to him, but decided against it, choosing to stay in the safety of your front porch.

He approached slowly, limping up your driveway. Now you could see who it was, and you practically flew toward him.

"Bucky!" Your hands flew to his face, examining the bruises and cuts. "Oh my god, what happened to you?"

He winced as your thumb brushed over a particularly dark spot on his cheekbone and you immediately apologized, though your fingers continued tracing his features to asses the extent of his injuries.

"I beat up Jimmy Carter," he mumbled, and as he spoke he revealed bloodstained teeth.

"Why? When? What happened? And- no, come in first, explain later." You grabbed his wrist, leading him up to your room. He followed willingly; there was no way you'd be capable of forcing a man of his stature to come against his will.

Thankfully your parents didn't catch you smuggling Bucky in; that was the last way you wanted them to meet. You pushed him down to sit on your bed by his broad shoulders, rummaging around in the bathroom for your family's first aid kit and fetching an ice pack from the kitchen.

"Here. Hold this." You pressed the ice pack to his black eye, not relenting even as he flinched away from the cold and waiting until he held it there himself. "So, what happened?"

"Nothing," he mumbled as you rubbed an alcohol-soaked cloth over his cuts- minor injuries, but still, you hated seeing him hurt. You raised a questioning eyebrow and he sighed. "He insulted Steve, and proceeded to make derogatory comments about you. Steve can take it, he's used to it, but I couldn't let him talk about you like that."

"So- wait, you did what to who?"

He chuckled, but his eyes still avoided yours. "I beat up Jimmy Carter because he was making offensive remarks about you."

"You shouldn't have done that," you murmured, holding a second ice pack to the forming bruise on his forehead.

"I'd do anything for you."

Bucky's eyes met yours, electric blue in the dim lighting, and you felt the breath knocked out of you. He looked so vulnerable, yet at the same time so determined to protect you at any and all costs, and it made you want to wrap him in a blanket, hold the precious boy tight and never let anyone hurt him again.

"Bucky..." you breathed, placing a hand on his jaw and tilting his head to face you.

"(Y/N), I don't care if you don't feel the same way, I just need to tell you this." His gaze was so intense, you were sure you'd either faint or kiss him if he kept looking at you that way.

"I love you. Doll, I love you so much, my heart feels like it'll burst every time I even think of you. Please, look at me. I swear I'm telling the truth here." He caught your wrist as you attempted to turn away to hide your blush, his touch warm and gentle.

"Sweetheart, you're my stars, my moon, my world," he continued. "I'd lay my heart at your feet, if only to receive another look from you. I'd give my life for yours, no matter where, no matter when. Hell, I'd pick the stars out of the sky if you asked me to. I know this is sudden and a lot to process, but I love you, (Y/N), with all my heart and soul."

You pressed your lips to his, kissing him with all the fiery passion you could muster. His arms wrapped around your waist, pulling you into him as if he wanted to become one and the same person with you. Your hands roamed across his back, trying to grasp onto him but settling on his shoulders instead.

"I love you too," you whispered against his lips.

Okay so there's really something with me and all these heartfelt confessions recently but I hope you love reading them as much as I love writing them!