𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙉𝙞𝙣𝙚

'Hey

'Hey.' Nancy said, catching Steve's attention. 'What you and Frankie did. Um, helping the kids. That was...really cool.' She said, smiling softly. Steve chuckled.

'Yeah. Those shits are real trouble, you know.' he said, climbing back up the ladder, continuing to staple the tarp. Nancy exhaled, a small chuckle leaving her. 'Believe me, I know.' She took a deep breath, preparing a small speech, but clasped her lips shut as Frankie walked in, holding another roll of tape.

'It's insane how much of this stuff the Byers have.' she chuckled, handing it to Nancy. The girl smiled and grabbed it, thanking her quietly. Frankie smiled at Steve and picked up a piece of cardboard, taping it to the wall. Soon, everyone was doing the same, the entirety of the wooden shed covered in tarp, cardboard and old newspapers.

Frankie threw Jonathan an encouraging smile as he picked up Will, walking towards the shed. As soon as the couch was free, Frankie plopped down, laying her head on the armrest. Minutes later, she was asleep.

Steve walked in, chuckling at her sprawled out limbs. He poked her forehead, the girl immediately waking up.

'What-what happened? Who's dead?' Frankie stammered, still half asleep. Steve chuckled. 'No one. Yet.' Frankie sighed and plopped back down as Steve began playing with his bat.

'If you hit me, you're dead.' Steve chuckled, stopping to land a kiss to her lips. 'Okay.' Frankie shuddered, wrapping her arms around herself as she stood up, walking towards the window.

'You okay?' Steve asked, stopping his movements. Frankie nodded, looking towards the shed. 'Yeah. I just...can't get those dogs out of my head.' Steve approached her, arms wrapping around her waist from behind, leaning his chin on her shoulder.

'This one moment, in particular. We were inside the bus, and Max grabbed my hand. I looked at her, and saw she was looking up. So I did as well, and I saw the metal denting with every step the demo-dog took. And finally it reached the opening in the ceiling, and I swear my life flashed before my eyes.' Steve watched her worriedly through the window as her voice grew distant. As if she was back in her memory.

'And I just froze. But in the back of my mind, I knew that as soon as I was back to normal, I had to push Max away. I didn't think about the fact that the demo-dog would get me, and kill me. My number one priority was getting Max to safety. And I was so afraid.' Tears welled up in her eyes as the fear she felt resurfaced. A fear she hadn't felt since Theo.

'But, I wasn't scared for my life. I was scared for Max's, and Dustin's, and Lucas's, and yours. Mine didn't matter in that moment.' A tear rolled down her cheek and Steve turned Frankie towards his chest, holding her tight.

'Yesterday you asked me if weather I was going to have nightmares about your bat or the demo-dogs. After Dart and his friends, your bat is like a little kitten.' Steve sighed and kissed the top of her head, holding her tighter.