3: I'LL BE GONE WHEN THE MORNING COMES

warnings: contains drug and alcohol use, sexual situations and swearing

Rosalind let out a sigh, hands gripping her steering wheel. The longer she stayed in Brooklyn, the more she hated it. She had men breathing down her neck all week long and there was nothing she wanted more than a second to herself.

Like the universe had other plans, her phone rang, interrupting her second of silence. Rosalind picked it up, eyes narrowing at the number on the screen. She didn't have to answer to know it was Niall. He had a million burners to call her from.

Rosalind thought it over, thinking back to a few nights ago. She felt the same churn of disgust in her stomach. She tossed the phone on the seat, turning her car on.

She had told Luca she was going away for the weekend and to call only if it was an emergency. She knew there'd be a million emergencies but she hoped Luca was looking out for her- at least for a few days.

The traffic from Brooklyn to Midtown sucked. She knew it would before she even left, but sitting in bumper to bumper traffic made her angrier than it should have.

The nagging feeling, she knew, wasn't coming from the traffic. It came from the week catching up to her. The messes she had to clean up left and right. Maybe it  was because at the end of the day, there was no one checking on her to see if she was okay. Or maybe it was that she had to carry the guilt of her men, and the men that came before her all on her own.

Sometimes Rosalind thought about leaving it all. She thought about praying to the good lord, begging for forgiveness and getting the hell out of New York. She began to think, their business didn't help anyone. It harmed a lot of people. Countless people, even.

Rosalind pushed the thoughts from her head, the way she always did. She didn't have time to contemplate her life, she was too busy contemplating everyone else's.

Her phone rang again just as traffic began to move. She picked it up, recognizing the number as the same one that had called not even twenty minutes ago. She set it back down on the seat beside her, shaking her head.

This time when she put it down, she felt guilty. An insane amount of guilt because despite the way her and Niall were, they always looked out for each other. She always had Niall's back, even when he pushed her limits to the point of anger.

"Fuck," Rosalind muttered, picking her phone up. She called the number back, gripping the steering wheel.

"I didn't think you'd answer," Niall murmured, voice quiet.

"I'm going to midtown," Rosalind told him, a hint of hesitation in her voice.

"Are you inviting me to spend the weekend with you in midtown?" Niall asked, that teasing tone back like nothing had changed.