9: GOING OFF THE RAILS

warnings: contains swearing, mentions of violence, sexual content, and drug use

When Niall told Rosalind that he'd take care of everything, he meant it. Wholeheartedly. Early the next morning, he burned the files and pictures and every shred of evidence he had in his closet.

While he watched Rosalind's life go up in flames, he had Lewis meet him behind the casino. It was all very discrete.

"Capaldi," Niall said, eyes glued on the fire in front of them. "I need a favor."

"Sure," Lewis responded with a nod.

"Rosalind's brother," he began slowly, eyes finally looking over to him. "Needs to disappear."

"Can I ask why?" Lewis asked, eyebrows furrowing. "You know I'll do it but I'm just confused why her men won't do it."

"It's a long story," Niall told him, reaching into his jacket to pull out an envelope. "Twenty now, twenty later. You know the drill."

"Alright," Lewis sighed, taking the money. "When?"

"The sooner the better," Niall told him. "It has to look like an accident and he probably has eyes on his house. Go in the back of the apartment. Can be like a robbery or something. Steal his tv or some shit."

"You want me to take care of the body?" Lewis asked, shifting on his feet.

"Nah," Niall shook his head. "Let the police find him. Fuckin' piece of shit."

"Sure thing, boss," Lewis nodded, shoving the envelope into his back pocket. "I'll do it tonight. Soon as it gets dark."

"I appreciate it," Niall told him, pulling a cigarette out of his pocket, lighting it slowly. "Call me when it's done."

Lewis and Niall parted ways. Niall got back into his car, driving back to his apartment. It wasn't a surprise that Rosalind was still there. He saw her shoes at the door, and the dark of his room. Niall slid his own shoes off, checking the time. It was nearly eight. Usually Rosalind was up and out by the time the sun rose.

Niall was greedy, crawling back into bed. He wrapped his arms around her bare waist, nose pressed against her neck. Rosalind stirred softly, humming quietly, "where'd you go?"

"Business things," he told her, tightening his arms around her waist. He didn't get very many mornings with her so this one he'd savor every lasting second.

"Should've been gone by now," Rosalind told him, tangling her legs between his.

"It's too late for you to sneak out," Niall murmured, pressing a kiss to her neck, exhaling against her skin. She smelled like his bedsheets. That was something he had to be proud of.

"Wouldn't dream of it," Rosalind mumbled, rolling herself onto her other side, draping her leg over Niall's hip.

"Roz, baby," Niall whispered, pushing his fingers through her hair. "Hate it when you leave me in the morning."