10: WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO?

warning: This chapter contains mention of mental illness and violence 

3 months later

Niall could not let Rosalind go. No matter how hard he tried, how badly he wanted to, it wasn't possible. His chest ached at the absence of her. She put him through hell most days and Niall swore deep down he hated her for it, but most strongly he never wanted to let her go.

Rosalind disappeared the day after Mario was buried. At least that's what Luca told him. She'd left him and Maria notes with envelopes of cash and she was gone.

"She's not coming back," Luca told him, voice firm after the millionth phone call. "And why should it matter to you, anyways?"

"It doesn't," Niall had tried to convince him, voice quiet over the phone. He wanted to tell Luca everything but he didn't. He kept it to himself.

It was a shot in the dark. He put a trace out on Rosalind's plates. Her car was found at LaGuardia. No one knew how long it'd been there. Niall got his hands on their flight history and it seemed almost too good to be true. Would Rosalind really leave the country? Is that the extent of her leaving it all.

But Niall had been around the shop. He realized that Luca knew nothing. Maria, he learned, had loose lips. She just had a look in her eye like she was waiting for someone to ask so she could spill all of her secrets.

Niall found himself leaning against Maria's desk, eyes glued to her as she moved around the room, making him a cup of coffee.

"I'm sorry Rosalind left without paying you," Maria said, her back to him. "I really wish I could help you. Unfortunately she's left without a trace."

Niall wasn't convinced. He sat down across from her desk, scratching at his jaw. Soon, Maria set a cup of coffee down in front of him, sliding into her own seat.

"Rosalind and I were actually kind of like friends," Niall told her, eyes flicking up to hers, studying her reaction.

"Rosalind and I weren't very close," Maria responded. "So I wouldn't know her personal affairs. Always tight lipped- unless she was angry of course."

And Niall felt like this was the moment he could tell her everything. Maria was nice enough, kind eyes that were the same as Rosalind's. And dark black hair but much shorter. Maria took a slow sip of her coffee, sitting back in her chair. "You know a lot of people thought..." she trailed off, meeting his eyes. "Never mind."

"No what is it?" He urged.

"Well a lot of people thought you two were like..." she trailed off with a laugh. "It's so ridiculous. They thought you two were like lovers or something. I said that was completely..." her humorous tone faded.

Niall knew his face had given it away. Maria could read his eyes. They were lovers. "You're not here for the money are you?" She asked after a long moment.