Part 2- "Stuff"

Kyouko paced along a bicycle rack. She had declined to go into the hospital. She didn't know this Kamijou person, and didn't really want to watch Sayaka fawn over someone she didn't know. Kyouko frowned. Why, though. Why was she starting to care? She had just met Sayaka, but it felt as though there was some kind of deeper ... connection? It didn't make any sense, particularly to a girl who had been trying to avoid getting herself in a position to depend on or care about anyone else other than herself since ....

"There you are."

Kyouko took a big bite of her candy bar before turning to face Homura. The dark-haired girl didn't particularly sound upset, though her expression was neutral, as ever.

"Yup," she said with her mouth half full, "an' you owe me a explanation."

"You're welcome," Homura replied, with an uncharacteristic smirk. Kyouko stopped chewing for a moment.

"I don't get it. See, you come along and know my name and where I'll be, and introduce me to a cute girl that I ... well, she is ... nice. But dammit, it feels like I've met her before. What the hell's going on?"

"You won't believe me."

Kyouko smirked.

"Try me."

"I come from ...."

"Well, well, well. Hello Kyouko."

They both turned to the new voice. She wore the same school uniform as Homura, Sayaka, and the others, but her blond hair with its twisty twin pigtails was distinctive. As was the diminutive white creature perched on her shoulder.

"Mami," Kyouko replied, taking another bite of candy bar.

"Who's your friend?"

"Akemi Homura," Homura replied, her expression neutral once more.

She's a Puella Magi also, emoted Kyuubey.

"Really? Three Puella Magi in one town is usually considered two too many," Mami said in a voice sweeter than the words.

"There's a Walpurgisnacht coming here in two weeks. I'm only here to defeat it, then I'll leave."

Mami's smile became forced.

"Really? How do you know about a Walpurgisnacht?"

"Statistics."

"And you still owe me an explanation ... how the hell do you know my name?"

"Research."

Kyouko frowned.

"Bullshit."

Homura frowned.

"Believe me or not. I don't care. But it is going to happen, and none of us can face it alone."

Perhaps we should seek other candidates? Wouldn't it be better if there were more of you to face Walpurgisnacht? Say ... two more?

Homura's eyes smoldered with rage, and she glared at Kyuubey. Both Mami and Kyouko were visibly surprised at the intensity of her reaction. Even Kyuubey appeared to be shaken, though with his unchanging expression it was hard to judge this.

"I won't let you get your claws into her, Kyuubey."

"Her?" Mami tilted her head curiously.

Kyouko stared at Kyuubey for a moment, then a grin crossed her face.

"Madoka? So is she statistics ... or research?"

Homura's glare shifted to Kyouko, and the redhead knew she had struck a nerve. Not that it had been terribly hard to guess.