Part-4 "Never Alone"

"Kyouko?"

The redhead ignored the other girl's cry and continued to stomp away.

Sayaka, blinking back tears, glanced up to see her mother silhouetted in the window of their apartment. Her face went red, and her fists clenched. She was, for a moment, paralyzed with shame and anger. But the moment didn't last long, and she turned to take off after Kyouko.

"Kyouko ... Kyouko, wait!"

The blue-haired girl caught up to the redhead.

"Kyouko ... I'm sorry. I didn't expect ... I didn't think my mom would say something like that."

Kyouko stopped, and turned to Sayaka. Her face was red, and she was shuddering with barely controlled rage. Sayaka didn't know what to do.

"She ... how ... how could she ... just ... how ... how dare she?"

"Kyouko ... please. She ... she is ... protecting me. She ... she likes the idea of me and Kamijo-kun. So she .. she doesn't understand how .. how you ...."

"What ... can just waltz in and turn her precious perfect little daughter gay? Because, Oh My God! Perfect jewel Sayaka could never be interested in a girl, it must be MY fault somehow!"

Sayaka blushed deeply.

"She ... she is just concerned for me."

"Yeah. Whatever. Just ... go home."

"What?"

"I don't wanna think about this right now. Go home, and ... I'll catch up to you later. Or ... something."

"But ... but Kyouko. I ...."

"What?"

"I ... I don't want to leave you alone."

"Just go."

Kyouko turned and walked off. Sayaka just stood there for a moment, torn. She didn't know what to do. Never before in her life had she faced a decision like this. She ... cared for Kyouko. She believed her mother had simply acted out of concern for her daughter's well-being. Kyouko had only just met her, after all. Could her mother be blamed for being, and expressing, concern?

She looked back, and saw her apartment window, the light still on. It was empty. She shook her head, turned, and ran after Kyouko.

"Thought I told you to go home."

"Yeah. I'm ignoring that."

"Why?"

"Because I don't want you to be alone."

"Why should you care?"

"What kind of question is that?"

Kyouko stopped again, turned, and grabbed Sayaka's shoulders roughly.

"You just don't get it, do you? I caused my family's death. I kill witches for a living. Literally. If I stop, my soul gem clouds up and then ... hell, I don't know what but it can't be good. There's a really good chance that I'm going to die when Walpurgisnacht comes. I'm ... just not worth it."

Sayaka sobbed.

"Yes ... yes you are."

"Geez, you're stubborn, aren't you? I am not worth it. Period. Go home. Just ... go!"

She turned, but Sayaka grabbed at her, snagging her left wrist. Kyouko's brain was clouded with fury. She rounded on Sayaka, lashing out at her. Her open palm impacted Sayaka's cheek, and in that instant, which seemed to happen in slow-motion, Kyouko suddenly regained her self. She looked in horror, and self-loathing, as Sayaka's head jerked to the side with the impact of the blow. She didn't turn her face back to Kyouko ... Sayaka's eyes were wide with deeply conflicting emotions, overflowing with tears. Her cheek was red.