Chapter Six

There is no way in hell I'll be getting up today. Not with a headache like my own. I swear I feel like when you hit a metal pole with something else metal and it sort of vibrates and rings. Oh god, am I still high? Come to think of it, I don't remember ever getting home. Actually, I don't remember much at all.

Brownies. I remember the brownies. I remember floating on clouds. I remember dancing with a boy, who held me back just as tight. And I remember resting my head in Neil's lap as he spoke to a man I did not recognize.

"You're awake." It's Neil, thank god, and no one else.

I offer a groan, which makes him smile. Now he's walking my way with a pill and a glass of water, which he must have snuck up from breakfast. "Unfortunately."

"How do you feel?"

"Like shit. And you?"

"I've been better."

"And the rest?"

Neil laughs. "Meeks and Pitts woke up in the woods. Charlie woke up next to a boy, covered in hickeys. I'm pretty positive Knox slept over. And Richard is still sick."

I scoot over on my bed so Neil doesn't have to stand there and hover. He takes a seat, giving a quick thanks as he slides off both shoes. "I can't remember most of anything."

Neil dips his head a bit. "Oh?"

That's suspicious. "What? Do you remember much?"

"I remember everything."

"Okay, well spill. What went down?"

Neil clears his throat and scoots away, gunning towards his own bed. "It's a lot."

"I have time." I sit up and move to his bed now, since he decided to up and leave mine.

The boy throws his head back in dismay. Then he lifts up the edge of his blanket and I crawl under. A thing we do quite often. "Well where do I start? You ate a brownie and I was too far behind to warn you. You spaced out for like an hour and then when I went to check on you, you were passed out on the stairs. Then you danced until I called Mr. Keating to come pick us up."

He stifles a laugh while my eyes shoot open. "You called who? And we aren't dead? Oh my god, Neil!"

"What! I didn't know what else to do and he seemed like the most reasonable option. Mr. Keating wouldn't betray us like that. Come on, Todd, you know this."

I shrug. "Still. Our teacher? I'm not going to be able to look him in the eye. So embarrassing. Please tell me I didn't do anything too weird?"

"Well, at one part he turned on the radio and Fame by David Bowie came on. I have never seen you so passionate."

I hide behind both hands, imagining what that could possibly look like. "Did I make a total fool of myself last night?"

"Not a total fool. You were cute and dorky." He smiles, all teeth and dimples. So I smile back, and blush, hoping that he isn't just yanking my chain.

"Whatever. You're lucky I can't remember. I bet you weren't the saint you're acting like." I laugh, but stop when a nervous expressions falls over him. He hides it well, but not well enough. "What did you do?"

Now Neil sighs, head leaning back into the wall behind us. His eyes are shut, probably to avoid reality, which is something I can relate to and understand. "Something stupid."

"Something stupid?"

"Could've been worse."

There's a knock, but it gives us no time to do anything before Charlie is practically falling in. He looks rushed, panicked. Eyes wide and hair seriously frazzled. Then he gets it out, words flying faster than I can process. "Neil, your father."