Dinner with the wife

Chapter 3

I looked at Duncan, then at what he claimed was lunch. It looked like macaroni and cheese but I wasn't sure.

"What?" he asked, noticing I wasn't eating. I stabbed the lumpy mess on my plate and whined, "This food looks disgusting!" He stared back at me as if this was all my fault. I sighed.

He resume eating. My stomach started trying to contact whales and I picked up my fork. I was about to delve into my food when I remembered my allergies.

"There's no gluten in this is there?"

"It's macaroni."

"So no gluten?"

"What's macaroni made of James?"

"How am I supposed to know!? I'm not a freaking chef am I?"

"Ooh, a fight," came Michelangelo's voice. I banged my hand, ring face down, on the table.

"James..." sighed Duncan. I looked at him. "Macaroni has gluten. Why?"

"I'm allergic!" I snapped, pushing away the plate. Duncan massaged the bridge of his nose and looked tiredly at me. I folded my arms.

"Okay, I'll go see what sort of meal you have that doesn't contain gluten," he said, getting up and taking my plate.

"So Dunkie's the wife?" asked the therapist's voice. I slammed the ring against the table angrily.Duncan gave me one of those 'don't you dare do that again' looks. I fixed my gaze on my feet. They suddenly intrigued me.

He left. I frowned.

Being married was hard.

Duncan returned with a plate of mashed potatoes. I raised my eyebrows questioningly. He ignored my look and dumped the plate in front of me. I picked up my fork and stabbed the food. Mushy.

"You're giving me potatoes for lunch?" I asked skeptically. He looked at me in annoyance. Geez, we haven't even been married for a day yet.

"So newly married men are useless and demanding," said Michelangelo. I ground my teeth together and started eating my potatoes.

When I was done, I stretched and asked, "What now?"

Duncan shrugged.

"Go do something romantic," pleaded the blonde's voice. I growled and glared venomously at my ring.

"Or better yet..." he began. Duncan cut him off by quickly saying, "I have to tell my parents!"

"Dude, you wanna tell your parents you're temporarily married to me because of your therapist?" I asked him doubtfully. I didn't think they'd be over the moon with that news.

"Well I have to tell them something," he pouted. I rested on my hand, watching him. He glanced at me, made a face and scrunched up his nose.

And awww, he had a little bunny nose. It was so cute and —NO —bad James!

I shook my head. He looked curiously at me. "Nothing," I mumbled, feeling dirty and guilty.

Duncan clicked his fingers, "I'll tell them I'm helping the therapist with his project and I'm staying with a friend!"

"Husband," sang Michelangelo's voice. I scowled and made a rude gesture at the ring. Hope he could see that!

"Yeah..." said Duncan uncertainly. He ran a hand through his hair and looked desperately at me. "Should I? I mean I could always just stay away for a while, but I'm scared they'll panic and call the cops or something." I stared at him in surprise. Duncan never asks me for anything.